Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2009, 10:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
If you cut this one in half and just look at the top half
QuoteOriginally posted by adamkean Quote
you could probably cut this photo in half horizontally and you would have two nice shots
You know, he could probably cut the photo in half and just have a great top half of the photo.

09-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
You know, he could probably cut the photo in half and just have a great top half of the photo.

Yeah, it feels like when top side is purely great nature picture, below is more like gates of hell, human burning cage coming out of furnace, totally different stories.

Don't get us wrong we like this picture that much so we think it's wort to talk about.
09-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks all for your responses, It's been a little hectic around the house this weekend. 10 guests at the house, just wanted to let you know that I wasn't avoiding the critique. I will do some work to this picture soon and repost it.

I appreciate your comments.

John
09-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm going to be the odd one out and disagree with the assessments here. I feel like this would be best suited to a largish print, and I feel like in that case it has, in fact, two focal points. It's an almost abstract dichotomy between one "portal" of sorts above, and another one below (the two bright points in the photo), differentiated by the triangular contours of the monumental ascending bit. It works for me because both light areas are somewhat pinkish, so they seem analagous. I don't know why, but this composition just really does something special for me. It needs a little more contemplation than some photos, perhaps, but I wouldn't change the composition at all.

The one thing that really bothers me is the isolated blue patch from the strobe, up above the tumbleweed. It interferes with the surrealist-two-portals illusion the rest of the image gives me.

09-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Thanks all for your responses, It's been a little hectic around the house this weekend. 10 guests at the house, just wanted to let you know that I wasn't avoiding the critique. I will do some work to this picture soon and repost it.

I appreciate your comments.

John
John, Maybe we are all wrong,

Just follow your instincts, just do it what it best suits your taste, maybe your work is not meant to be understood in 21. century. You know what I mean. And I am dead serious.