Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the fire
Lens: 14mm Camera: K10 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F9.5 

Here is another picture from that same area, the shutter speed was actually 30 sec. I really like it, but I think it's lacking something. any ideals?

09-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Too close again I think John,there's not enough detail in the verticals so one's eye goes straight to the brightness at the top. A bit of foreground would enable the viewer to start at the bottom and follow the image up to the top.
09-07-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Gary, I will learn to take another step back when possible

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Too close again I think John,there's not enough detail in the verticals so one's eye goes straight to the brightness at the top. A bit of foreground would enable the viewer to start at the bottom and follow the image up to the top.
09-07-2009, 12:08 AM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Thanks Gary, I will learn to take another step back when possible
If you cut this one in half and just look at the top half John, it makes quite a good shot because there are diagonals going into the frame from either side and at different heights that lead you into the frame. Do you see what I mean?

09-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Damn Brit is right, the diagonals on the top half of the frame give your eye something to follow, but they lead it right out of the frame and away from the strobed tumbleweed.

The bright section up top is the true focal point of this image, so you could have strengthened it by eliminating all other aspects of the photo (strobed tumbleweed, diagonal leading to the right edge of frame, etc)
09-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice colours and contours in the photo.
Indeed I too was lead to the top of the frame, away from the subject.
Not only framing it differently, but also adding supplemental light with some dodging in that area may help to bring it out a little more.
09-22-2009, 06:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
If you cut this one in half and just look at the top half John, it makes quite a good shot because there are diagonals going into the frame from either side and at different heights that lead you into the frame. Do you see what I mean?
Thanks Gary, at some point in time I may get back to that shot to do some work to it, I now have about 1400 shots to weed threw. I'm sure you may have the same opportunity

QuoteOriginally posted by Fixcinater Quote
Damn Brit is right, the diagonals on the top half of the frame give your eye something to follow, but they lead it right out of the frame and away from the strobed tumbleweed.
The bright section up top is the true focal point of this image, so you could have strengthened it by eliminating all other aspects of the photo (strobed tumbleweed, diagonal leading to the right edge of frame, etc)
Thanks for you input, I totally agree.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nice colours and contours in the photo.
Indeed I too was lead to the top of the frame, away from the subject.
Not only framing it differently, but also adding supplemental light with some dodging in that area may help to bring it out a little more.
Thanks Ash, I appreciate you input.

09-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shot John I agree with the comments. I am not sure if some fill light (pp) would bring out some detail. Maybe a really difused flash may have helped as well (low power and a difuser ) , it would have to be off camera though as you were close.
09-22-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice shot John I agree with the comments. I am not sure if some fill light (pp) would bring out some detail. Maybe a really difused flash may have helped as well (low power and a difuser ) , it would have to be off camera though as you were close.
Thanks Dave, not sure when I will get back to this shot from last year. I have a brand new selection of photos that are...... oh so much better then anything I have shot before. I will get some up soon.
09-23-2009, 07:19 AM   #10
Inactive Account

In this great cave picture I am having a hard time describing two items below, fishnet look like structure in front of the furnace like, very red/hot hole.

What are those BTW? I don't suppose there was a tumbleweed inside the cave.

Actually this can make two pictures if cut in half, one without fishnet side, and the upper part.

BTW can I make this great picture my desktop background?

Last edited by cbaytan; 09-23-2009 at 07:25 AM.
09-23-2009, 07:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
In this great cave picture I am having a hard time describing two items below, fishnet look like structure in front of the furnace like, very red/hot hole.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate your time

What are those BTW? I don't suppose there was a tumbleweed inside the cave.

Tumble weed is correct, back light with a red and blue flashlight

Actually this can make two pictures if cut in half, one without fishnet side, and the upper part.

I will give that a try and I like your Ideal

BTW can I make this great picture my desktop background?
It would be my honor. If you choose to use it I would go to my flickr site and upload the large file and then resize it for your screen to maintain the most detail

John
09-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Wow! Now I really feel bad about missing the trip.

Which slot canyon was this?

Steve
09-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Canyon X (last year)

We were truly sorry that you were not able to attend. Grant, Anne, Ronda and I went to lower Antelope this trip and it was great. I'm sure my photos wont do it justice, but I tried. It was well worth the price of admission. I will get some of those photos up soon.

As far as this Photo goes, we went to Canyon X last year about this same time, this was my first outing into the canyons.

Best Regards,

John

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wow! Now I really feel bad about missing the trip.

Which slot canyon was this?

Steve
09-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
It would be my honor. If you choose to use it I would go to my flickr site and upload the large file and then resize it for your screen to maintain the most detail

John
Thanks for the permission,

Don't get me wrong about my above comment, IMO in an art piece, not everything has to be fully understood in a period of time. My curiosity is driven me asking what are those structures. I know very serious art pieces coming out of artist's deeper brain parts subconsciously , not even fully understood by creators yet.

eg: The Annotated Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
09-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #15
Marketplace Reseller

you could probably cut this photo in half horizontally and you would have two nice shots