Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Old Beside Old
Lens: 16mm Camera: Pentax K-7 ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F6.7 

I returned to Alameda NAS, this time equipped with my wireless triggers. It results in much more work having to set-up stands and flashes, but it lets me do some cool things off-camera. This shot utilized 3 or 4 flashes, 1 (or 2) left of the camera aiming at the right (your left) side of the front, 1 at the left of the camera aiming at the hood, and 1 at the right of the camera aiming at the left (your right) rim. A polarizer was added to minimize windshield reflection, and an ND grad filter was used to add a little drama to the sky.

What do you think?

- Jason

09-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think you could have worked with the sky in post production, as using the ND grad has also darkened the white building on the left, making it look like some kind of vignetting. You should only use graduated filters if the top portion you want to darken is uniform in the scene, not like this one.
09-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I think you could have worked with the sky in post production, as using the ND grad has also darkened the white building on the left, making it look like some kind of vignetting. You should only use graduated filters if the top portion you want to darken is uniform in the scene, not like this one.
Actually, that vignette was software generated. Here is the same photo without the vignette (also brightened up the ceiling a bit to add contrast between it and the car roof):

- Jason
09-14-2009, 01:52 AM   #4
Damn Brit

This could have been so much better if you had got an angle on the jeep or if it was parked at an angle so that you could show the front and side of it.
As it is, it doesn't do anything for me, I'm left wondering, "Is this a shot of a building that happens to have a jeep next to it or just a test shot and not meant to be anything in particular.

09-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Agreed with Gary/Brit, it's an awkward composition. The bottom of the big roof draws my attention away from the Jeep, as does the big expanse of wall.
09-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sort of awkward yes, but works for me - dunno why. maybe b/c i like jeeps