Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
Inactive Account

CC - Teaching the kids in need
Camera: Ist DL 

Hi. I need your thoughts before I submit the following pictures for exhibit. I teach kids in rural areas in our country where their parents cn't afford the education. And because they saw me with a camera, they asked me to take some portrait shots... CC for a few picts Im not yet comfortable with for submission. Tell me if I need some adjustments etc.. Sorry but I simply love mono.

Camera: Pentax *Ist DL
Lens: 50mm f1.7 and 16-45

09-14-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
up for cc......
09-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
Damn Brit

That first one is such a cute capture but there are background distractions.
I would crop it from the left almost to her head to get rid of the table leg, I'd also crop from the top to remove the tabletop and I'd clone out that bokeh just above the chair on her right. The object on that chair is a bit of a distraction but I think you can get away with leaving that there. The centre of her face around the nose is a bit lacking in detail because it is so bright.

I like the second one, they are all competing for attention but the eye always goes back to the main subject. If I were to do anything, I might try and lighten up the right hand side of the shot, just enough to even up the main subjects face.

Third one, I think has the same problem around the centre of the face.

I can't see the other two.

Good processing, I like the choice of sepia tones.
09-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
That first one is such a cute capture but there are background distractions.
I would crop it from the left almost to her head to get rid of the table leg, I'd also crop from the top to remove the tabletop and I'd clone out that bokeh just above the chair on her right. The object on that chair is a bit of a distraction but I think you can get away with leaving that there. The centre of her face around the nose is a bit lacking in detail because it is so bright.

I like the second one, they are all competing for attention but the eye always goes back to the main subject. If I were to do anything, I might try and lighten up the right hand side of the shot, just enough to even up the main subjects face.

Third one, I think has the same problem around the centre of the face.

I can't see the other two.

Good processing, I like the choice of sepia tones.
First thanks for the comments... I like your thoughts... I will do them and see what the outcome will be like.. Thanks..

09-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done with them.
IMO, along with Gary's comments, I'd like to say that #1's dodging (if that's what you did on her face) was a little overdone, to the point that it altered the sepia hue from the rest of the image. This created a glowing effect, but at the detriment of the balance of the portrait with color change and highlight blowing.

Gary's comments on #2 and 3 are spot on too - the other elements in the portrait in #2 do compete with the boy, the main subject, but the eye does tend to try and work out the detail in those other elements, so having them not so burnt in PP would help. #3 has slightly less of the same problem in #1 so works reasonably well and is a candid pose.

Great stuff.
09-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Well done with them.
IMO, along with Gary's comments, I'd like to say that #1's dodging (if that's what you did on her face) was a little overdone, to the point that it altered the sepia hue from the rest of the image. This created a glowing effect, but at the detriment of the balance of the portrait with color change and highlight blowing.

Gary's comments on #2 and 3 are spot on too - the other elements in the portrait in #2 do compete with the boy, the main subject, but the eye does tend to try and work out the detail in those other elements, so having them not so burnt in PP would help. #3 has slightly less of the same problem in #1 so works reasonably well and is a candid pose.

Great stuff.
Yeah. the picture 1 I think was overdodged. I'll try to balance the color... I kinda like the glowing effect though.. but there was division of color indeed...

Thanks for the comments ash..