Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Yet another Dawn Shot
Lens: 30mm Camera: K20D ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F8 

I'm a beginner & have been snapping away for about six Months. It's time to get some feedback.

A house on my regular dawn walking route catching the rising Sun.

I'm a beginner & have been snapping away for about six Months. It's time to get some feedback.

Any feedback & suggestions much appreciated.

Attached Images

09-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I like the warm effect of the sun in this picture...

Comments:
1.) I feel too tight looking at it. You could have shot it with a wider lens showing the tree, grass and the beautiful background in the area. After six months, I think its time for you to practice composition. A good way to start is by browsing the galleries here at pentaxfroums.. lots of great compositions... Make your pictures emote to the person looking at it and show him/her what your style is.

2.)Cropping. For me cropping is one of the important things in processing a picture... It eliminates distracting elements and enhances the simplicity of my pictures... Try to play with that picture by cropping on the left or to the right or up and down until you find the sweet spot... just remember to maintain the original size ratio (unless you specifically want that kind of size).

3.) Adjust exposure, brightness, contrast etc... by putting a lil effort of adjusting such elements you can create a masterpiece... Try to play with it. )I think the pict will also look good in mono. sorry im a mono sucker)

4.) I really love the warm effect of this picture.... hmm.. try to shoot it at f11 or f16 or f22 next time to make everything look sharp....

Thanks for sharing.. keep up the good work.
09-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In your photographic journey, you start getting the technical aspects (exposure triad) up to scratch but should also work on composition/framing, creative use of shutter speed and aperture as well as PP skills.

Here, I feel you've done the former well and do have room for improvement on the latter, as above.

It also helps to have an interesting subject, or simply capture a simple subject in an extraordinary manner, which takes a little creativity to 'learn to see'.

This is where you would find the most to gain in developing skills and getting more striking results.
09-15-2009, 01:44 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the comments - then the subject is too ordinary ? Uninteresting ?

I'm finding this to be a problem - disassociating subjects that mean something to me, in this case the house which I pass most mornings, and see in all kinds of light, from images that will have meaning for others who don't have the context that I do. In this case for me, the image was special because of the sun which is not always there, but it looks like I've ended up with an unremarkable image with sun on it ! LOL.

Looks like I have a lot to learn here.

Thanks all