Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A Rembrandt-esque portrait of my Better Half
Lens: 31mm Camera: Pentax K20D ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F1.8 

My better half requested I take a picture of her with wet hair (I had asked her to a while back). I took six images and this was undoubtedly the best. After I was done processing it, she said it looked good and looks a lot like Rembrandt's style of lighting.

Anyway, here it is. Please comment on anything I could do to improve future portraits like this one.

Last edited by kcmadr; 11-22-2009 at 05:23 PM.
09-21-2009, 12:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very beautiful. (both your picture and your "Better Half")

I'm not an expert at portraits, but I might:

1) put a little more catch-light in her eyes.
2) increase your background light (behind the photographer) so that her pupils don't dominate. She has very pretty eyes that counterpoint the color of her hair.
3) either fill-light a tiny bit more of her hair or block some of the light behind her on her shirt.

Like I said - very beautiful and take my comments with a grain of salt.

f.
09-21-2009, 01:47 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A nice capture.
Perhaps crop a little of the empty space above or reframe with more of her body within the frame.
Also suggest a touch of light behind her just to separate her from the dark background.
Her eyes are quite a feature of the photo - striking.
09-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Not sure about you set up, but a reflector on camera right might add some highlights to her hair and separation to the background.

09-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Always show some ear!! (Good job).
09-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think it's lovely.
09-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice job on the shortlighting (as opposed to lighting the broad side of her face, like if you had the key light to camera right), but I feel it needs more ratio to get into the classic master's sort of light. Also, light should probably go another foot or 2 higher and pointing down a bit more.

Definitely add a reflector or another light for hair light to separate from the BG.

White is not so great for clothing.

I'd put her shoulders at just a bit more of an angle to the camera (right now she's almost perpindicular to the line of sight), for a bit more flattering of an angle.

Lastly, I'd have her get her hair really wet and wear something that she'd feel OK about having pictures of her in. Right now with the white blouse which is almost formal, and the necklace and serious pose/expression, the wet hair doesn't really make sense.

Great base to start off from, just some polishing needed!

09-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the comments. Truth be told this is about the eighth portrait I've taken with SLR which categorizes me as a novice portraiture photographer.

Knowing what to look for and how to setup will greatly assist with my next attempt.

09-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It definitely takes time to get everything sussed out. I still am pretty terrible at it, I tend towards using existing or hot lights because it's easier to "see."
09-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

crop a bit off the top and you have yourself a very good traditional portrait
09-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Looks like chiaroscuro to me...

QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
My better half requested I take a picture of her with wet hair (I had asked her to a while back). I took six images and this was undoubtedly the best. After I was done processing it, she said it looked good and looks a lot like Rembrandt's style of lighting.
A really attractive portrait of a very attractive woman. And she has a good eye, it is very Rembrandt-like. Just for the helluvit, here's the termonology: Chiaroscuro (literally "light-dark") is the Rembrandt (and others) portrait technique where the focus of the painting is illuminated while the surrounding background is dark. The painting effect was created using successive glazes of transparent brown. A similar techique was sfumato, a subtle gradation of tone to obscure sharp edges between lights and shadows, e.g. The Mona Lisa.
10-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Not bad. You have to be careful about shooting wet hair against a dark backrounds; even meduim blonde hair can photograph very very dark when wet. Actually, that isn't Rembrant lighting, you dont have the "light triangle" under the eye, on the shadow side of the face. This looks more like a fashion photog Francis Scavollo lighting.

Good luck!!!