Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First try at Senior pictures
Lens: 125 mm Camera: K10D ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F4.5 

As a favor for my neice, I did her Senior pictures. I was very nervous, but have to say, I had a blast. It was great to take pictures of someone who stayed where I put them, didn't charge the camera and gave me eye contact and a smile without too much effort.

So I took about 30 pictures. But this one is my favorite. My neice really liked this one too, but I am looking for some CC on it just to see how I can improve. One of her friends asked me to do her Senior pictures now and I'm nervous again, but really want to do a good job. So let me have it, any and all CC is greatly appreciated.

There are more on my blog, but this one is our favorite, so I only posted it for CC. Feel free to leave any comments on blog to help me out in the future too though.

09-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done Beth.
This portrait works - she appears comfortable and posing quite naturally.
The background is well blurred so as not to distract the viewer from the subject.
PP is limitless with what you can do with the photo, but perhaps only certain style would suit this type of portrait.

I'd start with retouching the skin slightly - the tiny imperfections/blemishes can be smoothed out somewhat. Selective colouring can enhance certain colours and desaturate others to effect (I like adding to the reds and yellows, reducing the green's intensity and playing around with the whites, neutrals and blacks to create the mood/effect I want). Then there's dodging and burning (may not always be necessary) and a touch of sharpening.

This may be all that's needed, but again the sky's the limit in PP.
09-29-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply! I am still messing around wtih this one in Photoshop, trying to get her skin just right...thanks again!
09-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As long as the client likes it, that's all that matters.

However, I would work on your lighting skills. The lighting is pretty flat across her face, looks like on-camera flash was used. Unless you're going for the Terry Richardson look, I would dial down the flash to something like -2.0EV as a gentler fill. Start with natural lighting and consider going to artificial lighting as you improve.

Look up some photographers on the web. I've seen some fantastic senior portrait photographers; they combine a good handle on lighting with post-processing to make some really great images.

09-30-2009, 02:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Lookin at your blog. The fourth picture beats this one by miles. IMHO.

This photo is for me way too cropped in the bottom. There is no balance between the upper and lower edge. If you are going to keep it as cropped as is at the bottom, I suggest that you crop the top more aswell to even it out. The light as mentioned already, is a bit too flat, could probably be fixed in photoshop.

I really would have liked all of the hair visible, perhaps both shoulderas aswell.

Nice going, you'll do fine. Just practice a bit more on the niece .
09-30-2009, 05:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the CC guys. I really do appreciate it.

as far as the light, it was around 5 pm and we were in the shade, and I couldn't get enough natual light or else the camera told me they woudl be way underexposed. I didnt' want to up my ISO too much more because I know it can get grainy at 800 or higher. I was so nervous to use the flash because I have never really used fill flash (I guess that's what it woould be called) but I couldnt' think of anythign else to do. So it was teh on camera flash. Because I am not good with the OCF at all and most of my pictures come out way to bright. I'm going to practice some with it and try to figure out how to dial down the flash as suggested. Okay, so finally to my question. Would a reflector have helped ? get more light on her face, then meter to her face after it was lightened up? Any other suggestions?

thanks again!
09-30-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Take a test shot. If it looks ok, switch to manual mode and use the settings from the good exposure. Then stay with that. You will get consistancy in the pictures and you wont have to worry about wrong readings etc. Just meter and when the histogram looks good. Keep those settings.

Reflectors help indeed. You have to train to see where to put it though. Usually I have a reflector on the side and one behind me. Many wrongly put them opposite to the sun, which lighten too much. Keep them close and at a 45 degree max from the sun and only let it light one side of the face.