Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

First family portrait session
Lens: 55mm Camera: Pentax k20D ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F3.2 

I took this picture of a friend's daughter in my home studio. The lighting is a bit off and I could have adjusted her hair from covering her face, but I really liked this one and mom did, too. I used OnOne Phototools 2.0 for a high key B&W finish. A bit of cropping in CS4. Processed in RAW. Shutter speed actually was 160th.

Thanx in advance for your comments.

Gregg

Last edited by candgpics; 09-28-2012 at 07:11 PM.
10-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like the stock-standard 2 light setup.
Gives reasonably pleasing results.
I like the candid pose and the soft look of the portrait is OK - but I prefer the sharper, cleaner look.
Now as for the exposure, if that's what caused her face to appear ghost-like then there's little one can do about it in PP. The skin texture has been smoothed out and it looks a little artificial. Also, the tonal difference between the neck and her face makes it stand out all the more. She may have needed a little brushing of the hair to straighten out some of the kinks visible in the portrait.

Overall, it works, but could be improved upon.
Nice work.

Last edited by Ash; 10-07-2009 at 04:17 PM.
10-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanx so much

Ash:

Thanx for trhe reply. I did use two lights--one umbrella and one softbox, and a Lastolite triflector, which may not have eliminated all of the shadows. I was playing around with Phototools 2.0--I think the exposure may have been slightly better than the high key look the photo now has, but I think your critique is essentially spot on. The mother loved the photo, but I really want to be technically sound, too.

I have a shoot this weekend of a perosnal trainer for some modeling and fitness/figure photos. I am hoping my lighting and attention to details will be better.

Thanx again.

Gregg