Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Does this work?
Lens: 70mm (105mm) Camera: K200D ISO: 160 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F4.5 

Hello - I'm not usually one to post my images, but I am not sure what to make of this image. I so want it to work.

As I was sitting in a park during lunch the other day (in a Philadelphia), I was impressed with the way the sun was hitting the bricks and the leaves that had blown up against the picket fence. I 'saw' this image in black and white as I sat there, but I feel that I did not do the moment justice. Does this come across as 'ordinary' or 'blah'?

Thanks!

10-09-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's OK - the B&W rendition has brought it out very well.
Subject matter, not bad - not the most interesting either.
If the top of the fence were also in the frame it probably would have come out more appealing.
But well done with the exposure and PP.
10-09-2009, 05:00 AM   #3
Inactive Account

That was probably a very hard moment to capture, and I suspect you didn't capture all of it? I do think it's a nice photo, though Did you play around whith bw-settings to see what worked the best?
10-09-2009, 08:04 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Just for fun try cropping most of the top off so roughly about the bottom third of the picture is the brick of the pavement, the middle third is the leaves, and the top third is the picket fence. if you can, tone down the highlights a bit and crank up the contrast. I think that would make for an intersting contrast of textures. As I say, just for fun

10-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It's OK - the B&W rendition has brought it out very well.
Subject matter, not bad - not the most interesting either.
If the top of the fence were also in the frame it probably would have come out more appealing.
But well done with the exposure and PP.
Thanks for the nice reply. I actually have about 5 'different perspectives on this scene. Maybe I need to explore one of the shots that does indeed show the top of the fence.
10-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Svendinvenn Quote
That was probably a very hard moment to capture, and I suspect you didn't capture all of it? I do think it's a nice photo, though Did you play around whith bw-settings to see what worked the best?
I appreciate the comment. As I mentioned to Ash, I do have some other perspectives that I may need to investigate. Perhaps the one above wasn't the best for the shot. The B&W settings were my typical routine - desaturate in Lightroom, adjust black levels, brightness, and play around with curves a tad. On occasion I will export to Lightzone for some b&w's, but didn't see a need to for this one.
10-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geezer52 Quote
Just for fun try cropping most of the top off so roughly about the bottom third of the picture is the brick of the pavement, the middle third is the leaves, and the top third is the picket fence. if you can, tone down the highlights a bit and crank up the contrast. I think that would make for an intersting contrast of textures. As I say, just for fun
Dean,

Thanks for looking and sharing some ideas. I do like the example you sent me via PM. It works. And it's funny you mention doing that because I do have some original shots with that perspective. What's pretty neat is that you and Ash had very different ideas on the scene, but I think both could work. I hope to have a little time this weekend to try them both out.

Joe

10-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too like it, but think it would have been better (less closed) with the fence top visible. Now it seems a bit cramped.
10-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with Ash on the good B&W work, but instead of going for more (the top of the fence) how about more cropping for the less-is-more approach for? I'm thinking the lower right corner, using the brick pattern, the light on the ivy and just a bit of the vertical fence, example by PM,
Brian
10-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tmacdon Quote
I too like it, but think it would have been better (less closed) with the fence top visible. Now it seems a bit cramped.
I appreciate the response. After looking through my images, it seems that I don't have a suitable image with the entire fence visible. I do have another take coming in the reply.
10-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Agree with Ash on the good B&W work, but instead of going for more (the top of the fence) how about more cropping for the less-is-more approach for? I'm thinking the lower right corner, using the brick pattern, the light on the ivy and just a bit of the vertical fence, example by PM,
Brian
Thanks Brian. PM replied to and I will post an example in my next reply. I appreciate the effort in your response and your take via PM.

Joe
10-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
2nd attempt

This was a different shot entirely. Spent some time reviewing the suggestions and examples from the forum members (thank you). This is what I came up with. Any better, worse?

10-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

For me, the focus of the image should be on the contrast between the one ray of angles light across the very straight posts. The leaves just add some texture
10-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
For me, the focus of the image should be on the contrast between the one ray of angles light across the very straight posts. The leaves just add some texture
That is a good point. That was one of the reasons I chose the first image. Through all the suggestions and ideas, I had forgotten that was one aspect which caught my eye.