Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rocks in Creek
Lens: 108 (?) Camera: K20D ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F22 

Taken with a slow shutter speed to get some shimmering water over some colorful river rock. DA*50-135.

10-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Good start Steve.
You may have wanted the shimmer to be smoother, in which case a slower shutter speed, like 1-2secs, may have been your intent. To get a sharp shot, you'd have to have the camera mounted on a tripod.
The colours seems to have a slight bluish hue to them, which may be reflective - and may well have needed a CP-L to eliminate that.
The subject matter is dispersed throughout the frame making the eye wonder around looking for something to hone to. Perhaps framing the shot with a few more prominent stones on the backdrop of a pleasant non-distracting scene may have helped here.
10-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Ash. I agree there is no central focal point as I was trying for an abstract mosaic type of image. The blue cast is likely from the intense blue sky. I did use a tripod. To have used a longer shutter speed I would've needed an ND or CPL filter neither of which I had with me (no excuse!).
10-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the shot Steve for the reason you shot it with the slow shutter speed. It does add to the image. JIM

10-25-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you've done well, Steve. I'm on the fast shutter speed side when it comes to water. The faster speed here gives more definition to the "shimmer"--a matter of personal preference, I guess. I understand your point about the mosaic but I agree with Ash--even when you're not showing anything in particular, you have to provide the eye some sort of anchor &/or frame. It can be very subtle but it has to be there. Getting a shot that does that and still has the quality of randomness you're after is hard--but very rewarding (I'm told ;~)

Last edited by dadipentak; 10-25-2009 at 07:42 PM.
10-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
Damn Brit

I like the transition from the bottom up, first clear, then the light shimmer and then blurred at the top. It does need a focal point to balance it though.
10-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I like it just the way it is But then, I'm one of those oddball geologist types who think a picture of a whole bunch o' rocks is perfect all by itself without needing any particular focal point This would make a great wallpaper image on the computer.

Jim
10-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
This would make a great wallpaper image on the computer.

Jim
As a matter of fact I have done just that.

Thanks for the C&C. I'll have to look at trying to include a focal point. It'll be a year before I can reshoot though after the winter and then the spring runoff.

« French tower | Fall »