Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Monument valley AZ
Lens: 16 Camera: K10D ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F8 

Comments on my last post were really positive and they got me going. So I really started to work on some more shoots I made on our trip, this time in monument valley...(there has to be 100's of shots like this).
I used PSE6 and the B&W plug-in provided by Elements+ created by Dubrovsky which I found very effective, a little dodging on the clouds and burning in the shadows. I noticed that the sharpening may be too much?
Note: In the PSE6 RAW converter, I found that a lot of noise showed up fast in the sky when I applied any correction, everything else being equal,...interesting?
thank you for your comments...
Richard

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-07-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well you've got another positive comment coming here. This is a fine B&W landscape. I like it a lot. My only wish for it is an added touch (?contrast/curves adjustment) in just the foreground, which looks just a tad bland. Otherwise excellent.
Well done.
11-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A very nice shot, Richard. I agree with Ash, the foreground needs a little more definition to balance the image.

I don't know about the PSE6 RAW converter. You get more noise and banding when operating in 8-bit color channels rather than 16-bit.
11-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
I agree, I'll work on the foreground. It has the same depth as the background which prevents the eye to go from the front to the back. The tower in the background with its clouds seems like a ship arriving in the harbor and that is distracting from the foreground.
Thanks for the nice comments.
Richard

11-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Closed Account

Original Poster
As for the PSE6 raw converter - adobe RAW 5.5 - it does accept the Pentax 16 bit info from the K10D for all RAW PP and that's what I find strange. For all other PP PSE6 will only accept 8 bit info. In the DNG file the noise is not there (between the clouds and the horizon) so it seems that the problem might come from the B&W plug-in I used, grant's tools. I also use Elements+ made by Dubrovsky which appears to be very close to the one in CS and I'll try that one?
11-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
Damn Brit

It looks like the foreground is sloping away from you which is what diminishes it (the foreground). Apart from that, it's a fine shot. If you're in a similar situation with foreground like that, try getting low to the ground and either find a rock that will boost the foreground or shoot at a slightly downward angle. Be careful though, with a wide angle lens you might get distortion on the horizon if you aim too far downwards.
11-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thank you all for the positive comments that are well taken. I'm just wondering wether I should keep the original shot as is.
There is a thought: since I'm one of the " think out your shot first or stuff it...", I'll keep the color original and maybe, God willing, I'll drive by that view point again and then, I'll nail it, by J...!
Cheers to all
Richard

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
My only wish for it is an added touch (?contrast/curves adjustment) in just the foreground, which looks just a tad bland. Otherwise excellent.
Well done.
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It looks like the foreground is sloping away from you which is what diminishes it (the foreground). Apart from that, it's a fine shot. If you're in a similar situation with foreground like that, try getting low to the ground and either find a rock that will boost the foreground or shoot at a slightly downward angle.
I like it! It's the quintessential MV / Southwest view.

I agree with both Ash and Gary about the foreground. ... But I also understand that your background IS your foreground - so to speak. Your background is your main subject and it'd be a shame to diminish that.

Might I suggest cropping about an inch off the bottom (60px here) - you'll get rid of alot of the "dead" space and find a natural lead-in with the trees and gully.

I started by cropping it - but got carried away (as usual) ala a younger Ansel Adams (moody/high contrast). If you're interested, that version is here: http://rhythmicnature.com/temporary-other/mv/
11-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
Damn Brit

This is just a suggestion, it's a bit of a shame that you get that abrupt transition in the sky, I cropped it to give you a diagonal leading in from the left hand corner, removed a lot of the sky and cropped it a little tighter on the right. It kind of reminds me of a scene from one of those fifties 'B' movies with the giant spiders.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 12-20-2009 at 03:44 AM.
11-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #10

great minds and all...
11-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
Closed Account

Original Poster
Frank, old son, you nailed it by J...!
That is just how I had it in my mind... that ship, yonder, coming in to port
That Monument valley is such a photogenic place and I hope I can go back there and spend the time - all in B&W.
Attached is another view...
Thanks again to all who provided the comments.
Richard
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
Closed Account

Original Poster
Gary, thanks to you and Frank for providing the feed back that makes me (and all other others... in this thread) enjoy this web site (Pentax!)
Nice group in the "photo critique"...
Richard
11-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #13

You're welcome. You have some very nice captures!

I've started not to post re-processed photos up on these pages directly unless the OP asks for it directly. Sometimes, people don't like to see their original work "re-envisioned". That's why I only provide a link.

Glad you liked it. If you're interested, I have a screenshot of the layers used at: http://rhythmicnature.com/temporary-other/mv/SNAG-00163.jpg
11-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #14
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Rnovo Quote
Gary, thanks to you and Frank for providing the feed back that makes me (and all other others... in this thread) enjoy this web site (Pentax!)
Nice group in the "photo critique"...
Richard
You're welcome Richard.
11-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #15
Closed Account

Original Poster
Got the layers, Frank. I have to admit I have trouble getting into that sort of thing. My limit for now is basic PP in PSE6 but not yet layers. I might get my arm twisted soon and go into it!
Thanks again
Richard