Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #1

Portrait
Lens: 105mm Camera: k20d ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.6 

My daughter playing. Taken with DA 50-200.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
11-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Nice colours and interesting pose, having the subject in the centre of the frame tends to make an image a mere snapshot though and loses narrative.
You could have moved to the left a little and got more of an angle giving you the chance to put her over to the right of the frame where the viewer would be more likely to follow the direction of her gaze and wander what she is looking at (there's your narrative).
You don't need the area above the fence, it's just a distraction.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 11-08-2009 at 06:29 PM.
11-09-2009, 03:01 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will disagree with Gary here.
I don't mind the framing but I don't like the pose for girl of her age.
And I don't like the lighting on the shot. Her teeth are much brighter than her eyes and draw too much attention.
As Gary, I'd crop off the area above the fence, and most probably I'd try to blur the background bit more in PPing.

BR
Peter
11-09-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me, the fence and handles provide an acceptable prop for the portrait but I lose interest because of her disengaged pose.
The colours are spot on, but as above, the teeth does speak louder than her eyes, which I agree is not as desirable.
Lighting may be a little flat, however has rendered her jeans top quite stunningly. Unfortunately, this is not the intended subject, I'm sure...

11-09-2009, 06:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for c&c. I have to explain that its not a fence. It's a swing set."My daughter playing." I did not set up the pose, it is natural, she is sitting eight feet above the ground. Otherwise I agree with you all, next one hopefully be better.
11-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by ciapek11 Quote
Thanks for c&c. I have to explain that its not a fence. It's a swing set."My daughter playing."
In that case, you were too close.
11-10-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try having her look at the camera and smile, or capture her having fun on the swingset. Her apprehensive expression and looking off camera just looks like she's taking a break in her play, and not having any fun that would make a great capture.

I also agree to crop the photos at the top of the railing, to take out the white spot of sky. You can easily stamp out the other white spot between the lower railing with the green foliage.