Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rio Grande at NM 502
Lens: 36 Camera: K10D ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F8 

One of my challenges on this trip to Santa Fe and points west to Vegas was dealing with the harsh light and wicked latitude spread. I ended up shooting in manual using my old Gossen Lunasix 3 light meter from the early 80's when in doubt. It worked famously...
This shot caught my eye because of the strong contrast, basically 3 matching colors and the looming storm. I'm not sure about the trail on the right but I think I got it right with just the basic PP. I'm not sure about the USM results or the lack, again, of mid tones and/or highlights in the clouds to emphasize the menace?
Thanks for your comments.
Richard

Attached Images

11-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I'm not too sure about this one, I do like it but I'm not sure why. I think maybe it's because it looks somehow manufactured. Compositionally it's pretty good, nice lines and curves and the distribution of elements makes a nice balance.
The only part of it that looks real is the water, the trees and bushes (especially on the right) look like models or as if you had used selective focus with a lensbaby. The sky looks 'added' as well.
Overall, it has the feel of a painting, like I said at the beginning "I like it".

Last edited by Damn Brit; 11-10-2009 at 11:05 PM.
11-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first thought was as Gary's - unrealistic.
If the foreground doesn't match the background, it's a giveaway.
The sky may have been dark, but adding too much darkness to it, makes it look like night when the foreground clearly says day.
Anyway, good try - it's the lessons in PP we learn along the way that make our images look better.
11-09-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
Actually, that's why I'm posting this image. I only used minimal PP in the raw converter and the tonal range in the histogram was close to perfect - a bit in the shadows +a bit in the highlights with Levels -that's it. No work on the sky. That is what I found interesting. That sun just came out for a second and I took the shot...

11-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great Pic! I like it to. The water curves and draws your eye to the INTERESTING sky!