Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Awakening long exposure
Lens: 28mm Camera: K100D Super ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F22 

Taken with a Tamron Adaptall 28mm near the National Harbor.

C/C?

Attached Images

11-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few cool elements to this image.
The interesting monument, the streaking ?plane in the sky, the mixed lighting - they've come together all right. The sky itself though is a little bland with an eerie colour, and the sea in the middle is a vast empty expanse that seems to disturb the composition somewhat (to me).

I'm not sure this shot is amenable to cropping, but perhaps the next time you may find a better perspective to eliminate the distracting glaring lights on the wharf area and make shape and form more of a focus on the image. This is of course just my opinion.
11-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like your shot because its interesting. I have a lcd picture frame on the wall with 6,000 or so shots from the last 30 years and its pics like yours that get a stop and stare instead of another one of the expected shots. Yours is definitely the UNEXPECTED, thus, very interesting. Catching the plane half-way through is a plus but its that foreground that is the hook. Sure, if the background somehow more tied to the foreground or the lights were not as blown it could be better but I think this pic is all about the foreground. I am not an artist thus cannot suggest any complementary color schemes but what you have catches the eye IMHO.
11-13-2009, 12:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi, I usually don't go around critiquing other people's photography, but since I was drawn into this topic because of your title, just my 2c.

IMHO, the ripples on the water are distracting. I would've preferred the shot a lot more if you'd extended the exposure enough so as to smooth it all out. Which, in many cases should've been accomplished @ >6s exposure, but maybe the water/wind conditions weren't in your favor. For starters I would've shot @ ISO100 to double the exposure time, and perhaps used an ND4 to quadruple it again.

I'm not too thrilled about the aiplane, either. It's distracting. And it looks like a scratch in the negative (even though you're shooting digital) because of the blinking wing lights.

Since, like imetheguy says, your subject is the sculpture and not the background per se, you might actually open up a little to f16 or maybe even f11 to get some separation between your subject and your background. However, I think the bg can still be used to create an interesting backdrop, just as long as (again), you get rid of the distracting elements (plane, ripples).

11-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback!

In this version, I tried to capture as much of the highlights as possible, and I think it's an improvement... Thanks RawheaD
It was a windy night, and my camera does not do iso 100... 200 is the best I can do. The plane is actually an accident, on a previous shot, I got one coming in by mistake, and this time I ran the shutter as long as I could without a bulb, and the plane got that far across the frame.
Attached Images

Last edited by tdmsu; 11-13-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: added info
11-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm sorry, didn't know your camera can't do ISO100 :-(

You should look into ND filters. ND4 or ND8 are good all rounders that can come in handy in many situations. I love long exposure shots, so I actually carry around an ND400 filter whenever I'm shooting landscapes (never know when it can come in handy!).

Long exposure @ the waterfront can have great effects, either creating a mirror-like surface if the waters are relatively calm:

Time Shift on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

or, if you go to the ocean, where the water movement is harsh, you can get misty fog-like effects:

this isn't me but somebody in my contact list
Flickr: blue fin art's Photostream

I think the subject here (the sculpture) is good and the background water and lights definitely have potential so I believe there is a great shot hidden in there. Good luck :-)