Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Out for a Walk
Lens: DA 35mm Camera: K-7 ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F2.8 

Hey folks, just needed a place to ask, WTF? Of all of my street photo efforts, I feel like this one is my "masterpiece"...and it is one of the first ones rejected in PPG. Not a real big deal, I don't live and die on the gallery, but I was curious as to why folks don't like it. So please, fire away!

11-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It has a good 'classic' feel, almost poetic.
The leading lines complement the subject matter nicely.
I like it and it does command a second look.

On the other hand, there are a few things that bother me about it.
Is it just me or is the image rotated a degree or two clockwise from being straight?
The black area at the top of the image adds no value to the composition or subject matter of the capture. I'd have cropped that off.
The image also lacks a vivid tonal range - as if DR has been stifled for some reason (?backlighting reflecting off floor).
These issues to me do make a significant difference to the wow factor of such an image.
11-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Damn Brit

For one thing, I suspect that most voters vote from a technical stand point as opposed to an artistic one which this would fall into. I'll focus on that aspect because I quite like the idea of the picture.
The black area at the top makes it look like you had an error on your card and only got three quarters of the file off it. The guy has a doorway coming out of the top of his head.
I don't think the narrative is strong enough, perhaps he should be further away from the camera. An alternative might have been to move to the left, you might have got a little bit of profile and/or his reflection in that window.

It's hard to be your own critic especially when there's an image you emotionally invested in. It's all too easy to see the picture that it is in your mind as opposed to the less perfect reality.

Take heart from this though, because you are definitely moving in the right direction.
11-15-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

LOVE IT!
I honestly wouldn't critisize a lot. Maybe slight crop to get rid of some of the black area on the top, some of the left side, and teeny tiny bit from the bottom, but other than that I just really dig this shot!
Well done

BR
Peter

11-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, thanks for the technical critiques! This is not an excuse, nor rebuttal to those, just the reasons why the photo looks like that. You are right, Gary, I was looking at it as an artistic effort, rather than its technical merits. I tend to not do any cropping/rotating of street shots, I suppose because I want it to reflect that spur of the moment capture that it was. But I see your points on why folks would not vote for it. Ash, I looked at the "level" of the image, and I think it's right...the ground looks off, but the buildings are right on, so I think it was just an abnormality with the pavement. As far as the tonal range, I used a lightroom preset to simulate old black and white film. It was the look I was going for, but I can see how some would want a "cleaner" more natural look. Thanks again for responding!
11-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
Hey folks, just needed a place to ask, WTF? Of all of my street photo efforts, I feel like this one is my "masterpiece"...and it is one of the first ones rejected in PPG. Not a real big deal, I don't live and die on the gallery, but I was curious as to why folks don't like it. So please, fire away!

I like the image, and street photography a lot. Frankly, i'd have been proud to have taken that image. Congrats...

Criticism:
a. I don't think the title helps you any. He looks like he's just standing there, not walking. I'm not sure what's on either side of that man. Are those shops? I'd try to find a title that fits the image better, perhaps conveys what is happening in the image.

b. Somehow the man doesn't look quite symmetrical in the image, but its close. I'd crop some off the top and use that crop to help center the man in the image.

Keep up the good work!

Phil

Last edited by philbaum; 11-15-2009 at 11:42 PM.
11-16-2009, 01:03 AM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
As far as the tonal range, I used a lightroom preset to simulate old black and white film. It was the look I was going for, but I can see how some would want a "cleaner" more natural look. Thanks again for responding!
The look is perfect for the type of work you are emulating but that isn't what PPG is looking for (rightly or wrongly).

11-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, don't blame me. I remember it and voted YES for it!

The main problem, as I see it, is the doorway/archway/whatever in the far distance that appears to be coming out of the man's hat. It's obvious that you tried to separate it slightly but I think it needed to be brightened up (the shape) a bit to further disassociate it from the man.

Mike
11-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
Forum Member

I like it a lot, and I wish I were bold enough to do street photography. The lines in the pavement fading to the white exposure and then contrasting the shillouette of the man, I really like.

That said, I think there's a lot of black, and not enough variation in shade. The large swath of black on the top of the image (as others have said) is distratcting, but overall, I do like this image a lot.