Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Looking Upward
Lens: 55mm Camera: K2000 ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F5.6 

Ok, I am ready for what may come. This is my first time posting a photo for PentaxForums critiquing (man that word looks funny). High ISO and slow shutter, for the subject matter and lighting conditions, but I thought it turned out very well. What do you guys think?

Zak

Attached Images

11-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Damn Brit

This is really very good Zak, I hope you have the opportunity to redo it. I think you have neglected to think about the edges of the frame when composing though. I don't like the small piece of ear on the right but that can be cropped out ok. I also don't like the out of focus background on the left, it's too busy and cropping on that side is impossible. I think this would have worked better if you had him turn to his right a little so that you got more of a profile. That way you could have included his entire ear (or none of it) and the background on the other side wouldn't have been so much of an issue because the boys face would be more three dimensional in the frame, as it is, it's a little flat looking.
The lighting is a little bright. You could have stopped down the aperture a little more to get the nose and mouth a little more in focus (not entirely) and kept shutter speed the same.
11-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

For me, the eyes are too close to the edge of the frame to be in a true position of power, so the nose takes over (and detracts from the image by doing so while being out of focus), and his slightly off-center pose doesn't flatter the lines of his face much.

Gary was right, get him to turn a bit further away from the cam, and get his eyes a bit lower in the frame so they are truly the point of focus in the image.
11-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gary, you're right on the money with your critiques.
I would love to see the detail come out in such a closeup, so ensure focus is spot on.

11-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Honestly, I think the crop is way too tight and it's very unflattering, almost hard to look at. The B&W conversion also makes some of his skin tones, like his lips, look dead and unflattering.

But this is just my opinion.
11-22-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
Forum Member

I agree wally, that the crop is too tight. That said, the BW conversion does draw attention to skin tonality, but I think it would be more noticable with "pink on tan" (normal skin coloring), and more so on young children where they tend to have paler skin. I would worry that the pink coloring would come out much more noticable were this in color.
11-23-2009, 08:30 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks all, I will try to reshoot him soon, and see how well I can interpret your advice!