Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adam
Lens: 56mm Camera: K-x ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F4.5 

One day before due date. Pregnant wives are especially picky and hard to please models.

Attached Images

11-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Do you really want such a personal subject critiqued?
11-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I take it that's Adam in there.
Body image awareness is heightened exponentially as pregnancy proceeds...
Hope delivery goes well for the two of them.
11-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Do you really want such a personal subject critiqued?
Sure. I'm looking to improve my skills. I will welcome your critique. I have other photos like this from two previous shoots but not taken with a Pentax, so I'm ok with showing this as a semi-happy-with photo. In my defense, the background is not my liking, but was a forced thing.

Ash:
Yes, that's Adam in there alright. He's due tomorrow but it looks like he likes it in there and is planning to delay a bit. Thanks for the wishes.

11-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
In my defense, the background is not my liking, but was a forced thing.
That makes it a snapshot so from a critique point of view it isn't a defense.

You got pretty good perspective, would have been better if you had framed it without the little bit of neck, just below the shoulders would have been good probably.

Your aperture was too wide and shutter was too slow. At ISO800, that means you didn't have enough light.

For a great composition, try a background that is all one colour (black for example). Frame the chest and belly so that it occupies half of the frame. That will add shape to the negative space. An alternative to that would be a light background and backlighting then your wife's body will be in silhouette and if you get the lighting right, her body might glow at the edge.
11-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank You Brit for the critique.

I see your point with the framing. Will take note of that. Lighting the scene correctly has always been a challenge for me. I guess it comes with experience. I have to train my eyes to see the way the camera sees.

Thanks again!

P.S. Due date has gone by. Still no Adam. Looks like I will be eating the turkey afterall.
11-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Thank You Brit for the critique.

I see your point with the framing. Will take note of that. Lighting the scene correctly has always been a challenge for me. I guess it comes with experience. I have to train my eyes to see the way the camera sees.
Actually, the camera doesn't see, it's a sealed box that lets in light when you tell it to. Sorry, not being pedantic, just emphasising how important you are to the process. This might help, if you have a tripod, start using it for stuff. Having the tripod slows you down and gives you time to think. When you take a picture, don't just look at the subject, look around the edges of the viewfinder and take into account what else is there. Then decide what you want and what you don't want to be in the picture, then you can recompose accordingly.

Thanks again!

P.S. Due date has gone by. Still no Adam. Looks like I will be eating the turkey afterall.
Good luck, he'll come when he's ready. The due date is just something the medical establishment made up.
Is he your first?

11-25-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, first baby. It's a strange/cool situation though because my older brother just had his second child a week ago and my younger brother and his wife are due in march.

Either way, I chose the K-x for my first DSLR. I'm used to working with DSLR's (5DMK2, T1i, D300) at work (marketing dept) so I knew what I was looking for. I'm so glad I've stumbled upon a thread on dvxuser, highlighting the HD movie mode of the cam. Otherwise I would not have known about the K-x. Looking forward to many years with this cam!

Thanks again for taking the time to write,

Voytech
11-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #9
Damn Brit

Yep, first baby. It's a strange/cool situation though because my older brother just had his second child a week ago and my younger brother and his wife are due in march.

Either way, I chose the K-x for my first DSLR. I'm used to working with DSLR's (5DMK2, T1i, D300) at work (marketing dept) so I knew what I was looking for. I'm so glad I've stumbled upon a thread on dvxuser, highlighting the HD movie mode of the cam. Otherwise I would not have known about the K-x. Looking forward to many years with this cam!

Thanks again for taking the time to write,

Voytech
No problems, I had my first (a girl) in June and there have been quite a few other births this year so I'm sure quite a few of us will be looking for to some pics.