Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Portrait vs Landscape
Lens: 16mm fisheye Camera: K20D ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 

Which orientation suits this view better. Only difference between the two shots is that the horizontal view was at f13 instead of f8 for the vertical. All constructive criticism welcomed.

Thanks
John

11-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Of these two, I think the vertical is better, the eye is led down the path better because there is less distraction on either side although neither of them do much for me.
As for constructive criticism, I don't like the curvature in either of them, it isn't enough. If you are going to use a fisheye, you should take advantage of that curvature and either point the camera up or down to exaggerate it. In the case of these two shots, pointing down would be the obvious thing to do. You should have got closer as well and made the two trees in the foreground the edges of the frame. The foliage being cut off doesn't do anything so get rid of it completely and have just the trunks which would have been the case if you had got closer..

Last edited by Damn Brit; 11-24-2009 at 08:57 PM.
11-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My biggest question for this shot is...why use a fisheye? You've brought so many things into the shot the subject is ill defined. Now...perhaps post processing it into a circular or spherical shot would make it different.

If the building at the end of the road is the subject, you would have done better to be much closer to it with this lens. If you were going for the two trees from the portrait version, perhaps a shift of the angle to remove the distractions of the buildings would help. Also, I try to offset the subject just a little from dead center, more interesting to me.

I do really like the colors and the details with the clouds in the landscape version.