Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2009, 06:05 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1st Night shot
Lens: 18mm Camera: K-7 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F3.5 

Hi, guys I am realy new to nightshots, so I would like to hear your opinions what should I make better. My biggest problem is that I dont have tripod, so I always look for something useful around me. This time it was roof of my car. Somehow I like the photo with it, but I am just newbie.

Thank you for your time and for your words.

Peter

11-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Damn Brit

There isn't anything of interest apart from the car lights, it would have looked better if there were lights from buildings in the background or some other features that would have shown up. There's too much sky and that sign in the middle of the frame is annoying, if you have an object like that, put it over to the right or left of the frame according to the rule of thirds. If you have a camera bag, you could have put the camera on that to keep the car roof out of the frame. Maybe try a straight piece of road as well so that you get the lights going on into the distance. curves only usually work if you are above them and/or at a distance so that the curve makes an obvious shape in the frame.
11-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A good try.
A tripod is a must in these situations. The car hood/top is too restrictive.

Be sure with your manual focusing and choose your exposure values to avoid too much loss of important detail in the shadows. The point where the headlights of the passing car starts illuminating the road in front of it on the image is where I would start with the exposure values.

As Gary says, be conscious of how the background looks - if there's noting of interesting form to contrast with the dusk sky, then it will leave you with an image of just a car trail, which is not as intriguing.
But keep at it and enjoy the process!
11-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you Gary, I will work on looking for better place and view.
Ash, I will buy tripod and I will try to catch some nice view over near city/town from one ruins of castle, maybe I will find there something nice.

Once again thank you, my friends just like it but I dont, I missed there something.

11-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by ombreus Quote
Thank you Gary, I will work on looking for better place and view.
Ash, I will buy tripod and I will try to catch some nice view over near city/town from one ruins of castle, maybe I will find there something nice.
Once again thank you, my friends just like it but I dont, I missed there something.

Your friends are not the people to get opinions from neither are family. They like you, therefore they like your photos (whether they are any good or not).
11-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Ombreus,

If we consider photography an art, then the result is in the eye of the beholder nevermind what someone's post count is. As you appropriately state, this is your first night shot; I can't say as my first one was any better or worse. Heck, I stull FUBAR nightshots.

As someone new to night/low light photography, I would suggest practicing in a controlled environment such as your house or somewhat. As has been suggested, try for the detail in the shadows.

Personally, I don't like the sign in the middle of the image unless it's something you were aiming for. Otherwise, it looks like a sunset over the mountains on a moderately used rural road. Good stuff.
11-30-2009, 02:10 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Your friends are not the people to get opinions from neither are family. They like you, therefore they like your photos (whether they are any good or not).
Thats why I will be spaming you. I hope it will not be that often.