Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gallery of pipes
Lens: 143mm Camera: K100D ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F5.6 

Lens used: PENTAX-DA 18-250mm

I tagged along with my daughter's Girl Scout troop during their tour of a water treatment plant. A row of pipes caught my eye and this is the original image:

(click for larger version)

I thought it had potential to be a good picture - I liked the patterns from shadow and the line-up of pipes - so I cropped it to get as much plumbing in the frame as possible:

(click for larger version)

I submitted it to PPG but it didn't get accepted.

Any advice on how to make it better - different crop, change to B&W?

Thanks in advance.

12-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Damn Brit

B&W might improve it, to bring out the shape and form and the colours don't exactly pop. When people look at a shot like this I think they are looking for abstract properties and this one is just too obvious in what it is. It's always best to take several versions of these kinds of shots from different perspectives. Even with the crop, there are still distracting elements in the frame.
12-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like the original best, it reminds me of a picture from a medium format camera used in an industrial workplace for insurance purposes or something. In the crop, you also lose the top metal pipe's line of sight, which is nice to keep in there. I also like the colors, and would definitely advise against making it black and white. They're not very saturated while still looking natural, it makes it look grungy and more industrial.

I say basically keep it as is, maybe do more edits to enhance the industrial elements. Good picture!
12-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original is good to me too. If it were to be kept in colour, the contrast between the brown and blue could be emphasised further with some PP work. Otherwise, I'd go with Gary's suggestion for B&W.

12-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I'll try a couple edits - B&W and something with the colors - and post the results.