Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

Nature Getting in the Holiday season
Lens: 105mm Camera: K100D ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F5 

Some things I notice. The snow is a bit overexposed, I'm not sure how to deal with correctly exposing situations where it's "white on dark", I always either end up overexposing the white, or the dark portion not being exposed enough. Perhaps this can be cleaned up in Post-Processing? Suggestions?

Otherwise, I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out, I like the DOF, and I like the colors.

All feedback welcome!

12-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Damn Brit

With an image like this, expose for the snow, there aren't any deep shadow areas so there's no worry of noise when you bring up shadows and midtones in post.
I think it might have been better if you had the stem coming out from the corner, there would be more room around it at it's tip to take advantage of the background more.
I wouldn't really call it a macro by the way.
12-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
The only reason I called it a macro was that I used the "macro" setting on my smc a 35-105mm f/3.5 lens. How is "macro" defined? My understanding has been a 1:1 magnification (or higher). I just assumed that's what the "macro" setting on the lens was doing.

I think I'm gonna try and re-shoot this later tonight or tomorrow, and see if I can fix the metering/composition some.
12-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by summatusmentis Quote
The only reason I called it a macro was that I used the "macro" setting on my smc a 35-105mm f/3.5 lens. How is "macro" defined? My understanding has been a 1:1 magnification (or higher). I just assumed that's what the "macro" setting on the lens was doing.

I think I'm gonna try and re-shoot this later tonight or tomorrow, and see if I can fix the metering/composition some.
You're right 1:1 is the definition, 1:2 too.
The macro setting on a zoom is really close focus which would take too much space on the side of the lens and wouldn't be such a strong selling point.

You got the DOF about right, you could go a little shallower but probably don't want to go deeper. Like I said in the previous post, don't forget to give your subject room around it, it's much more pleasing on the eye.

12-06-2009, 07:30 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The highlights of the snow may be salvageable on PP if you're recovering them from a RAW file. Otherwise it's lost detail.

Composition-wise, Gary's got it pretty much summed up.