Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
Forum Member

Oh (Wal)nuts
Lens: 105mm Camera: K100D ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F5.6 

The walnut is out of focus, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing, I like how this turned out.

12-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Yeah, the fact it's out of focus is kind of ok, it would be more interesting if it wasn't dead centre of the image.
12-06-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
what would've been better? more towards the top or bottom of the frame? I like that the nut is right up against the wood and the brick. Maybe more space on the left?
12-07-2009, 12:42 AM   #4
Damn Brit

Yeah on this occasion I think right of center, the triangle of brick stays the same shape only smaller. Usual practice would be to put the subject just off centre (either side). In the case of this image for example, if the nut were smaller in the frame, you would probably use the rule of thirds and put it either bottom left or right (where the lines on an imaginary ROT grid intersected).

12-07-2009, 04:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It might not actually have been out of focus, but rather blurred due to movement. You used 1/4s for 105mm, which is way too slow. You should try and set the other parameters (ISO and aperture) in such a way that you can get at least 1/100s, otherwise you will see motion blur.
12-07-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Gary, thanks.

Kevin, in retrospect, I see what you mean. You're actually probably exactly right, this might be motion blur instead of OOF. I'll remember that.
12-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
It might not actually have been out of focus, but rather blurred due to movement. You used 1/4s for 105mm, which is way too slow. You should try and set the other parameters (ISO and aperture) in such a way that you can get at least 1/100s, otherwise you will see motion blur.
Kevin is right, shutter speed needs to be about the same as focal length, SR buys you some room but you shouldn't rely on it. The center of the nut looks in focus but that doesn't mean it is. The closer you are to the subject, the shallower the DOF as well.
Personally, I've started taking a lightweight tripod with me so that I can get shot's like that just right.
12-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I would like to see this redone with the walnut closer to the edge of the frame, and with the rest of the frame darkened a bit so the subject really pops. The dark mass to camera left is distracting, as are the hard contrasty lines leading out of the frame. Take some time to arrange the scene so that your eye is naturally drawn TO the nut, rather than having your eye sort of wander around the whole frame.