Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

Field Under Fog
Lens: 105mm Camera: K100D ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/6s Aperture: F9.5 

I realize the foreground is a little bit out of focus. I'm also not sure of the post-processing saturation/vibrance settings on it, the field seems too "orange" almost. Overall, I like the cool feel that this has.

12-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Damn Brit

This is the kind of shot where you really have to nail the focus on the subject so that you get the separation between it and the background. Those stems behind that look like they are coming out of the top of the subject are distractions, change the angle you're shooting from to avoid those situations either to the side or from below (or both). These kind of shots can look really good if you execute them correctly but you have to think about everything in the frame, not just the subject.

"I'm also not sure of the post-processing saturation/vibrance settings on it, the field seems too "orange" almost."

So play around with them (and your WB), you don't have to take just one picture.
12-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I did play with the saturation/vibrance, this seemed to be the best mix of the two, I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

I see what you mean about needing to pay more attnetion to everything in the frame, I think I tend to put too much attention towards the subject itself (clearly not enough, given the blurriness :-D )
12-07-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Again, 1/6s for 105mm is too slow.

12-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with the other comments. Looking at your aperture, I'm thinking you could have opened up the lens a fair bit more. This will have brought your shutter speed up and may have helped with getting the foreground subject nice and sharp.

Was it windy? IMO this type of shot has some potential, although I would also say it feels a little bit dark for me.
12-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
There was no wind, and I was sort of going for the "dark" feel, but I can see how others might not like it as much.

Kevin/goddo: yes, I probably could have opened up the lens more, I was trying to get the building in the background to be more clear. This is as close as I could get, and that's after post-processing.

As Kevin said in another thread, this blur is likely motion blur from me holding the camera, as compared to being OOF (although possible a little of both). I'll make sure to pay more attention to camera settings.