Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #1

long beach, Tofino, BC, Canada
Lens: 70.00mm Camera: pentax k20d ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/4000s Aperture: F22 

photo was taken at long beach, tofino, which ones better? the one on the left cropped, or the original on the right. any other suggestions welcome. thanks in advance.

Attached Images

Last edited by airmechnorth; 12-09-2009 at 05:14 AM.
12-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would love to get over to Tofino. Beautiful location. As far of the crop goes I do prefer the one on the right. Giving more of the foregorund to look at helps IMO. I don't anyone who has not left the ISO high by mistake. The horizon is a bit off. I know that because mine always leans a little to the right. I may have tried a few differewnt angles on this shot and gone lower. Love the colors. Well done. JIM
12-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
Damn Brit

The one that you say is the original looks cropped as well. Did you crop some of the sky out
from the top?

The one on the right is better compositionally, you need to straighten the horizon a little.
Highlights are a little blown but you can get away with it with these kind of shots but you
still need to reduce that as much as possible. You should have been shooting this at 100
or 200 ISO.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 12-07-2009 at 11:39 AM.
12-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #4

Original Poster
thanks Jimbo. its the way i held the camera, I have to pay better attention to the horizon. the birds were runnin pretty quick along the waterline.

DB, the original i had to resize to upload it here, I hadn't cropped any from that pic. I gues to make that one better, shave some off the top on one side to try to make it a bit more square? I realized after when I was looking at the pics at home that I'ld shot at a higher iso than i should have. thanks for the comments.

12-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Damn Brit

OOPS, I just realised I edited your original post instead of mine last night, sorry.

If you had shot from a lower perspective, I think you could have got away with having a bit more foreground and a little less sky. It's the sky that's letting it down a bit.
Square might work, crop from the bottom to just below the sun's reflection and then crop from the top to make it square.
12-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think in general these kind of scenes work better using landscape instead of portrait.