Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Coke Bottle
Lens: 50mm Camera: K-x ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F2 

Hi,

I took this photo of a special coke bottle that was given to me at the olympic flame relay when the stopped in my city. How could the photo be better? I try some adjustments in photoshop to highlight the bottle from the background...

Thanks for your advices

12-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As far as coke-bottle photos go I don't think there's much to improve. You isolated your subject well, which is an important skill to master. Watch your shutter speed though, 1/30s at 50mm is pushing it. In general try to keep a shutter speed that at least equals your focal length (so 1/50s in this case) to avoid motion blur.
12-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
Damn Brit

The orange light on the left is a distraction as is the object on the right as is whatever is behind the bottle. Best solution (IMO) would be a simple portrait aspect shot with the bottle on one side of the image thereby utilising positive and negative space.
12-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments. It's well appreciated.

12-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Sorry, I should have said, you were right on with the aperture.
This would be considered a still life, if you can, it's always best to execute them with a tripod so that you can really nail it.
12-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As long as you have distractions in the background, make it something that provokes thought. You might try someone holding the bottle, or the bottle with another object. A bottle is pretty boring unless you can show it in a way that makes you want to look at it, you can break the rules. Your technique is fine, just needs something ..might look good with that cat! That cat with the plant is a very nice composition. You saw something in the bottle that made you want to capture it, now you just have to find the way to show us.
12-09-2009, 07:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for such inspiring comments.

12-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
Forum Member

I like the simplicity of the single coke bottle against a mostly light background. That said, I do find the black column behind it and the orange light to the left distracting, as Damn Brit mentioned.

Overall, I like it a lot.
12-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
The orange light on the left is a distraction as is the object on the right as is whatever is behind the bottle. Best solution (IMO) would be a simple portrait aspect shot with the bottle on one side of the image thereby utilising positive and negative space.
Change the light to red and your golden
12-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah it's true that the light at the left is distracting from the main subject: the bottle. Next time I should look more carefully at what is included in the composition of the photo.

Thanks to all for your comments. It's really appreciated.
12-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the type of image that would work well with negative space. So simplify the background, optimise the lighting on the subject, and you have a winner.
12-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #12

Here is what I would do ... get condensation drops to show on the bottle. Put a helmet and safety googles beside the bottle. Please on a textured wooden surface. Evoke the desire.
01-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've seen a ton of these bottles around Vancouver! Lighting is pretty cold. Maybe mess around with your curves or boost the saturation to pop the red of the bottle perhaps? Just an idea but it won't hurt to try. Not sure what kind of effect that would have on the background so... CAVEAT EMPTOR!