Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Three's company, four's a crowd
Lens: 10mm Camera: Pentax K10D ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F9.5 

I don't think I mind the perspective distortion here, but what do you guys and girls think? I appreciate all comments. Thanks.

Attached Images

12-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Damn Brit

For goodness sake clean your sensor.

I'm not keen on the distortion on this one. I'm assuming you used the 10-17 FE. I think you could have taken this shot with the opposite end of the zoom range. There's too much sky and too much on the right hand side of the frame compositionally and the cows are too small. It would also have reduced the distortion drastically.
12-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This one doesn't look fished to me Gary. At 10mm on the 10-17, the distortion would be a lot more obvious. But in any case, I agree that the wide angle was overkill. The dramatic B&W conversion is bold but I'm not sure about the subject matter. I'm looking for a central focal point and seem to be tracking between the tree, the outhouse and the cows.
12-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This one doesn't look fished to me Gary. At 10mm on the 10-17, the distortion would be a lot more obvious. But in any case, I agree that the wide angle was overkill. The dramatic B&W conversion is bold but I'm not sure about the subject matter. I'm looking for a central focal point and seem to be tracking between the tree, the outhouse and the cows.
You may be right Ash but on the other hand, you may be wrong

Edit: I just checked his profile and he has the Sigma 10-20. I have both lenses, but I always forget about the 10-20.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 12-12-2009 at 03:52 PM.
12-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
For goodness sake clean your sensor.
lol

QuoteQuote:
I'm not keen on the distortion on this one. I'm assuming you used the 10-17 FE. I think you could have taken this shot with the opposite end of the zoom range. There's too much sky and too much on the right hand side of the frame compositionally and the cows are too small. It would also have reduced the distortion drastically.
I actually kind of like the distortion, but I have tried a crop somewhat following your suggestions on composition. Of course, if I would have zoomed in a little (and angled my lens less, it was the Sigma 10-20), the distortion would have been less, but I DO kind of like it.

12-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may be right Ash but on the other hand, you may be wrong
Odds are I am as you say I am
12-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Btw, thanks Gary and Ash for taking the time to look and critique.

12-13-2009, 03:12 AM   #8
Damn Brit

The crop looks much better, it makes the cows truly become the subject.
12-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Agreed, although I think adding so much global contrast makes the sky/tree/building pull away from the cows pretty hard. I'd like to see a bit softer contrast on those areas with the same (original) contrast applied to the cows. Should help them "pop" a bit more and with the crop, you'd have a very nice shot.

The crop looks much better, it makes the cows truly become the subject.