Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Eye Of The Tiger

ISO 640, 200mm, f/2.8, 1/800s

I did B&W conversion but took out the background on the top left because it looked awkward when in B&W, I think it was scratches from the window I was shooting through, they had fences and windows up so I couldn't get a direct shot of the tiger. I left a little bit of the background next to the head to try and keep it feeling a little more natural, or do you guys think I should've white-out the background by covering that too? Some criticisms and help would be nice, I want to go back to the zoo and fix some mistakes. Do you guys like the B&W or color better?

EDIT: Well I've editted them both again to try to make it better. So I removed the distraction from the colored version as well as adding more contrast. I also made it even more natural for the B&W.

EDIT: Edited the color version for the third time, removing blue casts on fur as well as adding more natural contrast to the tiger's colored area.

Last edited by LeDave; 12-12-2009 at 09:52 PM.
12-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
MSM
Veteran Member

I don't have the appreciation of wildlife photography as others here. But, I like the B&W version. It may be that the upper left in the first is distracting. However, you could just as easily remove that as well in the color version. I like the eyes and the whiskers in the second version.
12-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've edited them =)
12-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&W for me also.
The bluish cast on the fur is a little off-putting, but the shot works quite well.

12-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
B&W for me also.
The bluish cast on the fur is a little off-putting, but the shot works quite well.
Thanks, I've actually tried to lower the bluish color on the fur and this edited one is better than the first. But it still is a little bluish because it appears my post processing is not up to that level. Whenever I try to make it more white and natural, it also changes the background also, it's hard to change the fur separately from the background because they are both the same color.

EDIT: Well actually I figured out how to do it! I wasn't feeling motivated enough to change it but since you said that, I went back and tried doing it again. It took a bit to find out, all I had to do was mess with the color balance to get the fur to be whiter then re-adjust the colored part back again with hue saturation. I also added even more contrast to the picture now. I will edit the first post now.

Last edited by LeDave; 12-12-2009 at 09:45 PM.