Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neighbors in B&W
Lens: 35 Camera: K20 

My first attempts at informal portraits in B&W. I was trying to get the two neighbors relaxed, either working in the garage (top) or just relaxing in front of his garage with a morning cigar. In both cases, in casual conversation while I shot away. Any/all comment and criticism on the composition, lighting, distance (too close, too far) and things like detail and contrast would be much appreciated,
Brian

12-15-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like both pics very much--but the first one better, because so sharp and contrasty. Are they cropped? If so, I would have cropped them differently, and given the subjects more room--especially the first one, I think, needs a bit more space to the right.
12-18-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Both are a good 1st attempt...
I would try to recover those bright highlights better.
Great sharpness btw too.
I tend to agree to widen the right side of #1 a bit...maybe 20% of the width.
12-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you really shot these at 35mm, let's see the whole frame! Looks like you cropped down a whole bunch to get these, and it looks to me like they would both benefit from some environment around the subject.

First one is unflatteringly contrasty and it looks like you bumped up "Clarity" by the hard line on the top of his head. More and more, I believe in the conventional wisdom of trying to record your subjects in at least a neutral to flattering manner, even in an unposed/candid situation.

Second one is flat, crop is too tight/not tight enough, there isn't much of a moment being recorded.

12-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. Here are the two original images. Cropping is a steep learning curve for me and in this case the two images in their "natural" environment meant including a lot of background that I find distracting and "crop-able". But perhaps I need to look at them differently and accept that background as part of the image?
I'd appreciate any cropping suggestions, in particular, for the first image I would have liked a longer shot including the subject's hands, but the vertical line of the door was just too hard to work with. In the second, I couldn't find a wider shot that seemed right. But any/all suggestions on what could have been done are welcome, or any other suggestions on how to capture candid portraits like this.
Brian

12-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting seeing the originals! The B&W conversions are good, although I find the first too contrasty for my taste.

I think you should include the hands in the first one - it makes it clear that he's doing something. Too bad about the background - I can see why you were trying to de-emphasize it. Something to keep in mind for next time, I guess. But that's the trouble with photographing people doing stuff - they insist on doing it in cluttered workshops and the like! I have some pictures of my father tinkering with stuff where I really like the pose, and what he's doing, but it was simply impossible to avoid getting racks of tools and power equipment in the background.

In the second I can see why you cropped out the light on the ceiling, it's distracting, but I agree with the others that a wider crop would be preferable. How about mid-chest to the top of the wall in the background, and take off enough on the left to lose the object at head height? I like his stolid pose, I don't think it matters much that it's not much of a "moment", to me it says, "I'm enjoying a cigar in the sunlight, don't bother me with stupid health advisories!"

Nice portraits, I wish I could get people with their eyes open and their mouths closed...

Julie
12-23-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Julie, good feedback. I'm going to take another look at cropping the second image per your suggestions and see how it turns out. Thanks again,
Brian

12-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think the second is a lot stronger, mostly due to the guy's right eye being captured in the light. I think it could be improved with a bit more selective contrast. Also, a real boost of 'structure' from something like Nik output sharpener, or if you don't have that, something to bring out detail. I think the crop is a wee bit tight on the top of his head.

I had a quick edit with your original black and white:

Last edited by CWyatt; 03-27-2013 at 01:26 PM.
01-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #9
jadams360

Nice adjustments by "Cwyatt". Sometimes small adjustments can make a huge difference. The detail on the left side of the face adds a whole new dynamic to the picture.
01-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Ah yes, that's nice with those CWyatt adjustments. The other thing I might try to do with that image is to lighten those whiffs of cigar smoke a little. Charles Cramer has a wonderful technique for doing that type of thing. As he says in the article, it doesn't always work, but it might be fun to give it a try on that one. Here's a link:
Luminous landscape