Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Omega

200 ISO, f/5.6, 75mm, 1/250s

Went to the zoo again.

I saw this battered wolf, it looked beautiful and at the same time I was torn inside. Its left eye is half-way shut; it appeared to be bitten above the eye and the ear, unable to hold it straight.

Last edited by LeDave; 12-18-2009 at 07:53 PM.
12-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #2

... an Alpha-Photo of an Omega-Animal.
12-19-2009, 04:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great capture! The only thing I can critique is the desire for a larger aperture, since the background is a little distracting.
12-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks you guys! and thanks for the critique Wally, will try again next time with a larger aperture.

12-21-2009, 03:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey you guys I have another question that's bugging me. This is actually the original image except I pp'd it. I have a feeling that I did the wrong thing by cropping it way too much. Do you guys think so? This isn't exactly as portrait-y as the first one but it does show a bit more to the full body and overall does look a bit nicer. How would you have cropped it and why? Or do you think I should of left it original?

12-21-2009, 04:47 AM   #6
Damn Brit

The problem with the full size version is that you cut his feet off, you had no choice but to crop really. The first one you posted could be cropped left and right to make it a portrait. That would go some way to resolving Wally's issue with the background.
12-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Damn Brit, that's what I thought too. I was angry when I saw this picture that I snapped and I left out the legs, so I decided to do a tighter crop.
12-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok so I made it into portrait form now.

12-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
Damn Brit

That works for me.
12-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Improved in portrait format - background still distracts a little and could possibly be blurred further in PP.
12-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #11

I disagree with the cropping of the original since I'm seeing a whole new story there. That wolf has gone through quite a battle and I might say He's not the Alpha male any more. When I see the hunched up back and the tail between the legs, that adds to the imagery and I can only imagine the battle that ensued. I'd suggest PP the best of the full size animal shot if possible because that is where the story is.

Regards.
12-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #12
juu
Veteran Member

The original doesn't quite fit in the frame. It has to be cropped one way or the other, if only for that reason.

I probably prefer the first portrait version if you'd snip a bit off the top from it.
12-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everybody. and Juu, I was originally planning to crop off the top of the first portrait also. But then I thought if I did that, his head would further away from the center of the portrait which leaves his body to dominate most of the half and bottom frame. Overall It does look quite nice and doesn't look as off-centered as I thought it'd be. Thanks again everybody.

This is my final one, no more editting for me. For the distracting background, I'll keep in mind to stop it down further next time. For now this is just how I'll leave it.

Last edited by LeDave; 12-24-2009 at 05:43 AM.