Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
Forum Member

Takin' a Break
Lens: 450mm Camera: K20d Photo Location: Tierra del Fuego ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F6.7 

I took this photo while visiting Isla Martillo in Tierra del Fuego. On the one hand I'm happy, because it's exactly the shot I was trying for, with focus fading in and out on the guy in the middle. After giving it a while, though, I feel like it was the wrong choice and that it might have been more effective/interesting with the focus fading out from front to back, or coming in from front to back (i.e. focus on the first or last penguin, rather than the middle). Alternatively, just keep it all in focus and let the staggered arrangement of the resting penguins carry things, though that might have been more difficult given the FL. Any opinions appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew

12-27-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My preference would have been for the first, most prominent penguin to be in focus with the same framing, and same, or even thinner, depth of field.

As is, the central subject location within the frame is not ideal, and the other OOF penguins distract the middle penguin. With the first penguin in focus, it would be more clear which is the subject, would be composed better and make the background penguins impinge less on the foreground subject.
12-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
About right

Hi Ash,

Have to agree. I scanned through my archives and found another photo that actually has the focus further forward as you suggest. I'm going to see what I can do with it, framing wise. Unfortunately the birds are colonial and it was nesting season, so isolating them is tricky. More so because this is a small colony on a small island, and your movements are very restricted. I do have some shots of individuals from another colony and some with penguins in the water. I'll try and post as few as I can.

Thank you very much,

Andrew