Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sunrise over Pittsburgh
Lens: 115 mm Camera: K-x Photo Location: West End Overlook, Pittsburgh PA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.6 

My first shot at taking sunrise / sunset pictures. Thoughts? Thanks in advanced.

12-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fire red silhouette - not a bad result.
Fundamentally, the framing is not quite there - the sun is shoved off far to the edge of the frame, drawing the eye away from the rest of the image, the colours are perhaps too far to the warm side, and the silhouette doesn't quite offer much for the eye to latch onto.

Keep working on your composition - you've got the exposure just about right.
12-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. Part of my composition issues stemmed from a lack of planning. I didn't realize that the sun rose so far to the right of the city from my viewpoint. Lesson learned. Here's another shot to give you an idea. It was impossible with the gear on hand for me to get a good city silhouette and the sun together in a desirable manner.