Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #1

Product Shot
Lens: 45mm Camera: Pentax K20D ISO: 100 

Hi all, this is my first attempt at two 'product shots'. (Obviously) its of my Olympus XA3, which I received recently.

It was shot in a rather crude light-box, with a single AF360fgz wirelessly fired to the left of the camera at 1/2 power. From what I remember, I shot at 45mm both times with my K20D using a 16-45mm f/4.5 lens.

and

Personally, I was quite happy with them, though some of the highlights have blown. Any thoughts, critiques or advices, please? I'd especially like advice on lighting, I think a second strobe might have helped fill in some of the 'greyness' around the bottom of the camera?

01-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good results.
The product is well exposed and softly lit on a smooth, non-distracting white background - well suited.
Your 'blown highlights' would just be the white background to the top of the image, which is expected and doesn't matter - the subject itself is what you look at.
You could certainly fill in the shadow areas, but they also add to the 3D look of the shot. Even better is a pearly glass table that provides a muted reflection of the product below - or it can be done in PP.
01-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Great work! I would just consider cleaning off the lint/dust. Try a piece of masking tape rolled (reversed) around your fingers and tap.
01-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They're great for eBay/Marketplace product shot standards, but I don't know if you're comparing them to, say, ones from a professional website or magazine ad. In the latter case, they would need to be more evenly lit, i.e lighting the front more evenly instead of having the light concentrated on the top and background. I would also suggest working more closely with 3/4 or head-on view, instead of... the 5/6 or so view you have :P

Good for anything but non-professional (saleable) though. Excellent camera by the way, it's on my to-buy list

01-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good results.
The product is well exposed and softly lit on a smooth, non-distracting white background - well suited.
Your 'blown highlights' would just be the white background to the top of the image, which is expected and doesn't matter - the subject itself is what you look at.
You could certainly fill in the shadow areas, but they also add to the 3D look of the shot. Even better is a pearly glass table that provides a muted reflection of the product below - or it can be done in PP.
Thanks Ash. For the issue of fill lighting, what would you suggest? I had thought another strobe of very low output firing off to the opposite side to reflect off and give some fill. Would that work?

QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
Great work! I would just consider cleaning off the lint/dust. Try a piece of masking tape rolled (reversed) around your fingers and tap.
Agreed on the dust issue! I had no idea it was that dusty until I got them on my PC! Handy hint though, thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
They're great for eBay/Marketplace product shot standards, but I don't know if you're comparing them to, say, ones from a professional website or magazine ad. In the latter case, they would need to be more evenly lit, i.e lighting the front more evenly instead of having the light concentrated on the top and background. I would also suggest working more closely with 3/4 or head-on view, instead of... the 5/6 or so view you have :P

Good for anything but non-professional (saleable) though. Excellent camera by the way, it's on my to-buy list
Thanks Wally. Definitely agreed on the 'type' of audience they are aimed at. These were my first attempts at anything involving a light-tent or strobe (got it for Christmas!), so I was aiming for the standard of many of the excellent images you see on our Marketplace.

I'm definitely aiming to improve though and the tips of the lighting are much appreciated. Do you feel head on views 'work'? I shot a few, as shown below, and just didn't 'like' the image? What do you think?

Head on view:

The lighting is pretty terrible in this shot - lots of grey space at the front of the image and the bottom of the 'product' is VERY dark.
01-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sbphotog Quote
Thanks Ash. For the issue of fill lighting, what would you suggest? I had thought another strobe of very low output firing off to the opposite side to reflect off and give some fill. Would that work?
Sure, you could certainly supplement with some fill on the other side, but the more lights you add, the less 3D the subject would look due to the elimination of shadow details - exposure is evened out.

Have a look at how creatively camera gear is lit on official websites like Pentax, Canon, Nikon, etc. There's less open lights and more directed profiling lights creating more shadow detail, which still effectively shows the product - certainly not eBay/marketplace style, though...