Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Image 2 - Fire Extinguishers
Lens: 47.5mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Buffalo, NY ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F5.6 

Here's another one from that same shoot. I did some split-toning here to give it a bit of an antique look.

I will have an opportunity to re-shoot this, and I'd like to use my tripod so I can reduce the iso level, but I'm thinking the noise in the image actually contributes to it.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by GregK8; 01-08-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Changed Title
01-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Damn Brit

The exposure is good (maybe the highlights are a little blown) but again I think you have the distance to subject wrong. In this case you aren't close enough for an abstract view of a part of the extinguishers but not far enough away to show them for what they really are. My preference would be the second. Just like the other image you posted, I think it's good to show more of the environment that your main subjects are in, it adds a great deal of atmosphere. Look for things such as shadows created by light from windows for example to include as another element in the image.
Memory is cheap so take plenty of shots of the same scene from different angles and different distances. You'll probably find that three images of the same scene, further away, closer and close will work together for display purposes.

And yes, make sure you go back with a tripod. Not only does it help with sharpness and lighting conditions, it should slow you down and make you think more about composition.
01-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good ambience rendered here with the self-confessed caveat of noise.
Try again with Gary's suggestions of a wider FOV and a tripod to avoid using high ISO.
The same perspective with a little more of the environment in the frame would do wonders for this particular scene.
03-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's a reshoot with a little different vantage point. Now that I've done it twice, I need to go back and do it again, because now I think I know exactly what I want.

Attached Images

03-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Was there a window up and to the left... it might just be me, but is there a bit of a flare of light running top left to bottom right? It washes out some of the detail... I think that lighting could work if it was more dynamic, give it a cellar look, which i think will go with what you are after...
03-30-2010, 04:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep, that's exactly why I want to go back a third time. I need flatter light (and a lens hood).