Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pinnacles - Photo 1
Lens: 21.25mm Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Cervantes, Western Australia ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F4 

This was a late afternoon sun, overcast sky, processed in lightroom.

01-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I think I'd like to see all three of these shots posted together to give them another chance. There isn't really anything wrong with them technically (maybe a little dark) but they don't work for me, perhaps it's the perspective, it would have been nice to see some separation from the background.
01-10-2010, 07:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Gary,

I do appreciate that photo series is a bit 'hotel corridor'. You talk about increasing separation from the background, would that be lowering aperture to narrow depth of focus?
01-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
juu
Veteran Member

It's a great place and at first I thought the rocks were quite big and that you took it from another boulder that you climbed... but perhaps they are not so big after all.

I agree with Gary that they don't seem to stand out from the background very well. Perhaps you can do something with the contrast or tone curves for that, idk. Also the DOF seems kinda neither-here-nor-there to me, as it is not shallow enough to isolate the boulders but also not deep enough to have the trees in the background sharp. But maybe it's just me.

01-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
Juu they are all different sizes... the tallest are a good 3 meters high.. this one was only about a meter high... but had quite intersting detail..

Your comment has given me some inspiration and directions for next time I am out there..
01-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Sideways Quote
Thanks Gary,

I do appreciate that photo series is a bit 'hotel corridor'. You talk about increasing separation from the background, would that be lowering aperture to narrow depth of focus?
Yeah, that's mostly what I meant.

The lack of contrast doesn't help either. In cases like that you need to work on the perspective to help with separation. Take shots from different angles, heights and distances so you can figure out what works best.

I would guess that for these particular rocks, there is a certain time of day that is different from any other. That's what you need to find.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with 'hotel corridor', if they buy them, people should take them.
01-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting foreground subject, but the background does lack impact and as such Gary's suggestion of a thinner DoF is apt. PP can also enhance this image somewhat, with levels, curves and perhaps even selective colouring.
The composition itself is quite pleasant, though almost 'too central'.
If you are in the area, it may be worth exploiting this scene some more with different perspectives as mentioned.

01-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #8

If you are going back there, would a lower viewpoint be worth considering?
01-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lainey Quote
If you are going back there, would a lower viewpoint be worth considering?
Absolutely... this photo was a bit surprise.. as it was a throw away shot that I didn't expect, although I was quite keen to keep the texture of the sand in frame.

Next time I am out there... try more low photos to give these sand creations a more towering majestic appearance.

We were hoping to get the long shadows of sunset with nice contrast creating shadows... however some massive softboxes rolled in and stayed well into the night.. see other photos.