Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pinnacles - Photo 3
Lens: 18mm Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Cervantes, Western Australia ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: >6s Aperture: F3.5 

This was a 9pm at night, overcast sky, light from car worklight, processed in lightroom.

01-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

A very creative use of lighting. Very well done. Could you have placed the lights in a different spot so you won't get the shadows on the base of the rocks?

Tim
01-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
juu
Veteran Member

I think this is great, especially the sky and how the boulders contrast with that. i like it a lot.

I agree with Tim about the shadows on the base being distracting. Also I wonder whether you tried a more narrow aperture with a longer exposure to keep the background boulders sharp, but I don't have enough experience to know if that is feasible.

P.S. I like IMGP5677 from your series a lot too.
01-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments juu and atupdate...

Here is IMGP5677 for others..

The little bush in this one does a very good job of hiding the shadow... But I do prefer the sky in the first photo..

01-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
juu
Veteran Member

I'm curious - when you say "light from car worklight" what do you mean by that? How big of a light is it?

QuoteOriginally posted by Sideways Quote
The little bush in this one does a very good job of hiding the shadow... But I do prefer the sky in the first photo..
Completely agree on these points.

Also, did you consider cropping a tiny bit off the left from IMGP5677 to snip off the small part of the boulder visible there?
01-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
The light was a work light... you might see them on tow trucks, 4WD's or emergency services vehicles. They are a 55W spread beam light that is about the same brightness as one car headlight but does not have any focused light.

It these photos it was a good 50m away.. so it was maybe about 20% brighter than light from the moon. Any closer and there was too much light.

As for the crop... yes I would/will!
01-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This one's well thought out.
The lighting added well-needed texture and subject highlighting.
Excellent result on both counts.
This couple is a winner.
Well done.
01-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a mate trying to drag us up there for a sunrise shoot. Interesting to see what you have done.