Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Graupel
Lens: 26mm Camera: k10d Photo Location: Saddleback, Maine ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F9.5 

Any feedback would be appreciated. I am definitely new to photography but these two shots are pleasing to me as the landscape was so alien with the amount of ice build up (graupel).

This one was shot at the same settings as above except at 1/750s

01-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Damn Brit

The first one doesn't interest me much, I think it fills the frame too much without giving much detail, probably would have been better from further away. You also have blown highlights.
The second one I really like, it looks good in the frame, there is a lot of detail there, the perspective is good and so is the lighting and the way it transitions across the frame. It's a little blown on the extreme right but you could crop that out without impacting the composition (possibly even improve it) if you wanted to.
01-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback Gary,
Would you please kill off the duplicate thread I started? This one "dissapeared" and I added a second thinking I did something wrong.
I will play with your suggestion of cropping and see how that helps.
Thanks.
01-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Nomad Quote
Thanks for the feedback Gary,
Would you please kill off the duplicate thread I started? This one "dissapeared" and I added a second thinking I did something wrong.
Already done. I'm not saying this is what happened but sometimes wording in a thread (or post) will trigger the forums filters and that entry will go into the moderation queue to be verified. If you ever make a post and it seems to disappear, PM a mod and they can check for it. It's tidier than making a duplicate.

01-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I usually agree with Gary on these critiques, but on this one I prefer the bright contrast and textures rendered in #1. The lighting is better placed but the blown highlights are unfortunate, though.

The gripe I have with both of them is that they don't offer any perspective of scale in the images - just a whole heap of snow-laden ?foliage. A person standing at the base of the scenes may add that needed sense of scale.

But beyond this also is the amorphous nature of the image, which makes it less appealing despite being quite intriguing.
01-12-2010, 01:32 AM   #6
juu
Veteran Member

I like #2 slightly better as the sky is more interesting. However, I'd consider it in the "abstract" category rather than a "landscape".
01-12-2010, 01:39 AM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
However, I'd consider it in the "abstract" category rather than a "landscape".
Funny, I hardly ever notice the category prefix, I just look at the pictures. I agree with you about it being abstract though.

01-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Graupel take two

Well here is a bit of a crop as suggested although I still didn't provide a real scale reference.....good excuse to go skiing again next week!!

Last edited by Nomad; 02-05-2011 at 05:13 PM.
01-13-2010, 01:13 AM   #9
Damn Brit

After seeing it, I prefer the original. Ash and I disagree on this shot but I don't think this one needs any more scale perspective, it has it's own IMO.