Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Self Portraits for a class
Camera: Pentax K110D Photo Location: Indoors 

I was assigned to take self portraits for my photo appreciation class that started today. Sure, it's not due until next thursday and was just assigned today but I couldn't wait to get started!

I've never taken self-portaits really so this was a bit difficult. The only thing I was really trying to do with these shots was to make sure to get some of my ideas laid out. In 2 days I have a K20D and a 40mm Ltd showing up at my doorstep so that's when I'll get way more serious about it, but I'm looking for some ideas as far as my actual framing and theming of the pictures.

If you have any more tips please feel free to give them, as I'm totally new to self portraits!

There are full sized versions of all of these as well as a few more attempts here:
Flickr: ejbusch's Photostream

01-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eric, these are difficult to appraise for me - they don't quite evoke the feelings or character I'd wish for in a self-portrait. If anything, #2 is close to the mark, with the addition of the guitar prop arranged in a creative way.

The lighting is also important here and so perhaps working on that to create clearly defined highlights with greater contrast and depth may help, but that's just a suggestion.
Keep at it and try to incorporate your personality within the image.
01-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe you would understand them better if you knew me, and that is something I understand.

I am a software developer, I co-founded an iPhone development company in fact. And that takes up most of my life. That's why I elected to use that in those pictures.

Thanks for helping out! I'll be sure to keep all of these things in mind as I move forward.
01-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Damn Brit

One thing I would say about the first and third ones. From what you have included in the frame, the subject matter is that of an environmental portrait but you are too close to show the environment. The net result is a picture that sends one message on an emotional level but a contradicting one on the visual level.

01-14-2010, 01:22 AM   #5
juu
Veteran Member

I can appreciate the idea for #1 and #3, but they just don't show your face well enough to classify as portraits to me - it is dark and you are looking away and the highlights are the computer screens.

I like #2 the best and I think it has potential if you'd show your face better as again it is all guitar and hat. Also I think if you go for symmetry go for it all the way in #2. Now the guitar is pretty much symetric but your face is shifted to the right.
01-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
jadams360

Hi, I just looked at you flicker acct and there are some good shots there. I think you have some idea as to what you are looking for. You have to somehow translate how you interpret the pictures you take of your friends and family and bring that thought process into your self portrait.

My first advice would be to get a tri-pod if you dont have one. Second, take control of the light. Weather it be a lamp or a window you can control how light will play into your picture. If you used correctly light can add dramatic effect to your portrait. Third, dont be afraid to turn your camera. Portraits, imo, look more pleasing to the eye when the camera is turned vertical. I am a second year photog student so I know it can seem difficult but trust it can be simple. I have included this link that I think could help. (I googled to try and find a demo to best describe what i was trying to convey) The guy is kind of cheesy but his technique is useful. Free Digital Photography Tutorial | Lighting from a side window | Layers Magazine Also, I included a couple I have done in the past. One is with window light the other with a workbench light in my garage. I did not put these up to be critqued but rather as reference for you.

Last edited by jadams360; 01-23-2010 at 08:03 PM.