Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spooky Black & White
Lens: 18mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Lynchburg VA ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 2s Aperture: F8 

I've been experimenting with using color filters in Aperture with my Black & White shots. I came up with this one tonight. I am surprised at what changes along with the filters. I could actually change the graffiti on the walls by changing the filters. Does this work for you. Comments most welcome.

Last edited by VaughnA; 01-13-2010 at 08:59 PM.
01-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another scene of dereliction.
These are hard for me to critique as I find it difficult to appreciate the image as a whole amidst the almost psychotic clutter, but in any case, the framing and B&W conversion seem good. I'd probably preferred a colour version with PP on the lines of grunge/HDR effects applied to exemplify detail and the moody atmosphere.

Guess that's the 1c I can offer here...
01-14-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
juu
Veteran Member

Not really a useful critique, but the first thing that I wanted to do was rotate it 90 degrees clockwise. It really seemed the right wall is the floor and so forth, probably because of some of the horizontal elements on the top right and the oven (?) doors left open.

I think the picture shows what it shows well, although it is too dark both literally and figuratively for my taste - not something I'd want on my bedroom wall. Perhaps make it lighter (?) and add more contrast (??) to make the different elements stand out more from each other and be less cluttered?

Where did you take it and how scary was it?
01-14-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
Where did you take it and how scary was it?
I'm not that dark of a person, really I'm not....

Thanks for the critiques, I'm finding that the urban decay subjects seem to be my strength so I'm doing a lot more of them. But I can't get into a rut. This was taken in an abandoned factory in Lynchburg Va near the James River. Not scary at all, and a target rich environment for shooting the gritty decrepit stuff I like so much.

01-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I like the fact that its B&W - if it were color I think it would be WAY to busy looking, although very low saturation color might be interesting. I might try some cropping - the bottom to just below the platform shadow, and a little bit at the top to just above the beam. Or you could even try it below the beam and see how it looks as a square image. And, as others have said, a little more contrast.

The color "filters" you mention work the same way as the color sliders in Photoshop's B&W conversion. Very nice tools.
01-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
Damn Brit

I think it needs more contrast, the furnace blends into the background too much for my liking. Did you take any other versions of this? It seems to me that more of a diagonal shot to take advantage of the light in the doorway on the left hand side would add narrative and depth.
01-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I like it, but similar to what others have said, in my opinion it could be improved by isolating the subject (the furnace) some more. I'm not sure, but perhaps you could do this by playing with the filters you mention, or even adding a little bit of toning or cast? Saying that, I like the B&W conversion.

01-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips. This is one of my favorite subjects and I hope to get back there over the weekend to try some of the suggestions as well as playing with the conversion on this shot. The suggestion of isolating the furnace is a good one as are the crops. And I agree on the contrast.