Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tree by a Pond (My first critique request here)
Lens: 165mm Camera: K200d ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F4 

This was taken with my Quantaray 70-300 Macro. Just asking for some feedback trying to get better. There is a better version of it Here

Sorry for the out-inking for the bigger image. I'm just the paranoid type.

Attached Images

Last edited by lurchlarson; 01-14-2010 at 04:07 PM.
01-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Nice asymmetric picture, it reminds me a lot of some of the pictorial stuff produced by the early proponents of photography like Steichen and Stieglitz in the first quarter of the 20th century.

Two things, I would crop it so that the trees and their reflections are much larger in the frame. They are the subject and the extra space all around them detracts from them. I would also add contrast by making them darker to add some drama.
01-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
juu
Veteran Member

I'm not certain the horizon is 100% straight. Furthermore it is nearly symmetrical, but not quite. I would see what happens if you make it symmetrical as much as possible.

But I didn't confirm his by loading it up in any tools so I could be wrong.
01-15-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The horizon is definitely straight (or as straight as an inherently curved and bumpy surface can be). It's also just about as symmetrical as any landscape could be. Even if it weren't perfectly symmetrical, that's good, otherwise it would look fake and contrived, like you wanted to make a semi-abstract symmetrical art instead of a photograph of a serene location. Very nice photo, but I would like to see the original in color.

01-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
juu
Veteran Member

You are right, wallyb. I don't know what I was thinking last night. My apologies.

Last edited by juu; 01-15-2010 at 11:08 AM.
01-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your input. Here is one with a little more contrast and a closer crop for comparison. I chose not to do the color because I want this picture to be strictly about the forms.
Attached Images

01-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I definitely like the original better - the tonality is lovely and the "distance" of the scene works better for me. The only thing I'd do differently with the original one is crop a bit of the open water at the bottom.

Nice Photo.

01-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
juu
Veteran Member

The original is better. I think it's a great picture too.
01-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
You are right, wallyb. I don't know what I was thinking last night. My apologies.
No need for apologies mate, we all have our own opinion. I'm just stating how I disagreed
01-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
juu
Veteran Member

wally, even though I'm entitled to an opinion, it turned out to be completely wrong. I had to go and measure pixels to confirm though .

lurchlarson, btw the linked version opens up as way more sepia than the one you embedded here. I like the sepia version better, and I don't think it needs cropping, at least not much more than a slight bit from the bottom (and sides to keep the same aspect ratio).

This photograph has also grown on me a bit and especially in the sepia version I think it is really really great.
01-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good scene captured well and PP'd appropriately.
Original version seems to retain more shadow detail than the 2nd edit.
If anything I'd suggest a tighter crop to eliminate some of the redundant foliage on either side of the trees, and from top and bottom to cut out some of the bland sky and water without cropping off the tree details.
01-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote

lurchlarson, btw the linked version opens up as way more sepia than the one you embedded here. I like the sepia version better, and I don't think it needs cropping, at least not much more than a slight bit from the bottom (and sides to keep the same aspect ratio).

The linked sepia/bw version from my website is truer to what the original file on my computer looks like. I don't know where things got lost. I didn't change the colors when i exported for uploading here.

I agree that that I should crop a smidge off the bottom. I like the sides because (at least to my eye) it gives them room to move. Breathing room so to speak.

Anyways, all your feedback has been great! Thank you.
01-16-2010, 12:06 AM   #13
juu
Veteran Member

Probably the JPG ICC profile gets lost. Some sites and some software lose it. It is all very complex and I don't really get it, but the key is in the ICC profile.
01-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
jadams360

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote

I agree that that I should crop a smidge off the bottom. I like the sides because (at least to my eye) it gives them room to move. Breathing room so to speak.
The picture looks great without cropping. GOOD JOB!