Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
jadams360

nancy
Lens: 50mm Camera: k100d super Photo Location: livingroom ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s 

Hi just looking for some opinion on the pp of this photo. Can I do more? Did I do to much? Does it look natural? Let me know.

Last edited by jadams360; 01-23-2010 at 08:03 PM.
01-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I personally think you did a really good job. The lighting looks natural (not sure if you "added" lighting or just boosted some levels in the photo -- "adding" lighting can look really odd), and you brightened up her features well. She also looks a bit younger with some of the edits you did. Great way to bring more definition out of a semi-candid portrait.
01-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good start with this head & shoulders portrait.
There is more in the way of pre-shot adjustments that can be made than PP work that will improve the look of this image.

The lighting is, I'm assuming, ambient from a window and has created a rather flat rendition of the subject. The exposure is difficult to manage here given the fast light fall-off producing facial highlights and underexposed shadow detail in the hair.

She's posed OK but not in the most flattering of manner Her shoulders appear hunched up and her torso is square on to the camera. You could have also incorporated more of her shoulders in the frame.

Onto PP, there's not a great deal extra I would suggest here. A high level of clarity set on your RAW editing program might help accentuate the textures and eye details. Selective colouring to bring out the reds in her lips and then some sharpening would add some more detail to the portrait.
01-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree with what has been said....
PP can be a lot easier when the material itself didnt need any. But on the topic of PP, here is what you can do :

- An egg shaped frame will take out the right shoulders uncomfortable position.
- Selective level and highlights will work out better than the overall lighten/increase exposure that you have over there. For example, keeping some shadows on the eyelids, but remove the ones under the chin...., and not lighten the lips area.
- Skin smoothing and tattoo removal - not that i have anything against tattoos, but the way its peeking out draws focus there - it should either be out, or hidden, i'd say.
- the hair work is a little too drastic. Use blur and different levels of transparancies to make it believable.
- lips and eyes can use a little work; eyes with sharpening to give it a little more glint, lips with saturation to give it some colour.