Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Exploding Sunset
Lens: 48mm Camera: Pentax K20D Photo Location: Red Wing, MN ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F9.5 

I took this one last May after several lines of storms came through the area. My question is whether the image composition, with the three horizontal areas (top cloud line, middle color area, bottom dark foreground), is compelling enough or is it just another generic pretty image without a serious center of interest? Any comments would be welcome.

Last edited by navcom; 01-17-2010 at 08:07 AM.
01-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honestly the focal point for me is your sig on the picture. My eye is immediately drawn to the Jeff Bartelt in the corner. If I cover that up with my thumb it looks like a great pic!!
01-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, it was also the first thing my eye fixated on but the image works reasonably well.
A little oversaturated with slightly too much empty space below but otherwise nice.
01-17-2010, 12:20 AM   #4
Damn Brit

It does work OK Jeff but personally I think it has much more impact cropped from the bottom and from the right hand side to make it a standard ratio. If you crop it so, you may not need to crop much (or anything) from the bottom because of the rule of thirds and I think the black anchors what's above.
In fact, your watermark isn't protecting anything because if I was going to steal it, I wouldn't want that side of the picture.
The alternative if you want to keep the panoramic look would be to crop away the first tree on the left, the bright area is badly positioned for the width of the picture.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 01-17-2010 at 12:26 AM.
01-17-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Get rid of the silly logo and it's excellent.
01-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks all!

Gary...I like the panoramic effect but I agree that the crop could be better. I took your advice and updated the first post with the left tree cropped out.

Yeah, the logo is kind of silly. I've been using one for about a year now. Actually, someone relatively local tried to "steal" one of my images from Flickr and posted it on their website. They didn't even bother to remove my logo!!! I contacted them and told them to either remove the image or give me credit (more than the logo). They gave credit and it actually resulted in a couple sales! Since then I've been a believer.

Of course, if someone wants to steal an image, they will do it with or without a logo, but the logo can deter the casual folks...which is about all we can deter.