Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Luigi in his winecellar

This is our 89 year old neighbor Luigi in his old winecellar, not in use anymore.
I have tried to give this picture a kind of old look, maybe not old enough but I also like to see some details.

0.6s f/4.0 ISO400 10mm (Sigma 10-20mm)

UPDATE
original version

from the other end of the cellar

Last edited by wllm; 01-21-2010 at 03:00 PM.
01-17-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
emr

A very interesting place and picture. However, I wish Luigi was a bit more in the foreground.
01-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
juu
Veteran Member

C'è una fotografia molto bella. Sono d'accordo con emr che il soggetto principale non ermerge bene e è piccolo. Anche la lampada è molto luminosa.

Forse può tagliare gli lati (e in quel modo la distortione grandangolare) un poco, quasi a una forma quadrata.

-- or --

I tried to say it's a really nice photo, but I agree with emr that the primary subject doesn't emerge well and is small. Also the lamp is very bright.

Perhaps you can crop some from the sides (and thus crop away the wide-angle distortion), nearly to the square form.

(I need to practice my Italian)
01-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I like it. I do wish the picture looked older (without regards to retaining detail) and that Luigi stood out more. I tried some PP on your shot with that goal in mind, I hope you don't mind, if you do just let me know.

Attached Images

01-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
juu
Veteran Member

I think it's good improvement
01-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies.
@emr, maybe your right, but in my opinion it's a picture of the cellar and Luigi is part of it and not the main subject.
@juu, I always need to practice my Italian , but nice spoken.
I agree that the lamp is still a bit to bright, I dimmed it already but not enough.
About the wide angle distortion, I like that and when I crop more the cellar became to narrow in my opinion.
@Myoptimism, your PP work looks good, maybe a little to smooth but leave it here I appreciate it.

Willem
01-18-2010, 04:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I like the original a lot more. Maybe you could have zoomed in a bit closer on Luigi, or crop some....

01-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure I'm qualified to offer a sound critique, but I can offer my opinion. I like the original quite a lot, particularly the way my eye moves down corridor toward Luigi. It's like he's part of the place, as if I'm absorbing the essence of the old wine cellar while getting closer to a man I am about to meet for the first time and who is part of the place. I feel as if I know something about him without having even talked to him yet, and can almost smell the dusty basement. The light is a bit distracting because it's bright, but this is a photo I'd frame and hang where I enjoy drinking my evening glass of wine.
01-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
I'm not sure I'm qualified to offer a sound critique, but I can offer my opinion. I like the original quite a lot, particularly the way my eye moves down corridor toward Luigi. It's like he's part of the place, as if I'm absorbing the essence of the old wine cellar while getting closer to a man I am about to meet for the first time and who is part of the place. I feel as if I know something about him without having even talked to him yet, and can almost smell the dusty basement. The light is a bit distracting because it's bright, but this is a photo I'd frame and hang where I enjoy drinking my evening glass of wine.
And for this reason I think it's why we all wish to see the subject larger in frame. We want to know more!
01-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
jadams360

just a thought

hope you dont mind...sorry it is a little sloppy. It's my son's nap time had to hurry.

Last edited by jadams360; 01-23-2010 at 08:03 PM.
01-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A fine story-telling image.
The original is indeed the pick of the other versions offered, but jadams controlled the noise a lot better with his high contrast edit.
As for the image itself, the path leads onto the subject well enough, although as said, he's far too small in the image to be a significant subject in the frame. The setting is perfect, though, and the sepia rendition is apt and adequately exposed. I wouldn't want to crop too much from this image, other than perhaps a little from the right, but then it would mess up the compositional balance on the image, which is why I'd opt for a reshoot with the old man up close and using diffused off camera flash to supplement the lighting on the subject's face.
01-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
jadams360

Out of curiosity did you take any other pics while in the cellar. They might be interesting to take a look at.
01-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again, I appreciate your comments.
I've updated this post with 2 extra pictures, no PP just RAW converted to JPEG.
@jadams360, I like your processing a bit darker so Luigi stands more in the spotlight despite a lowlight.
And maybe there comes a time for another shoot.

Willem