Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #1

First flower shot
Lens: 50mm Camera: K20d ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/6s Aperture: F4.5 

Hi all,
This is my first attempt at shooting flowers. I used a pentax-a 50mm f1.7, and a tripod.
When I downloaded the photos I realized that I was shooting with ISO 200 (dumb!). Anyway, I still have the flowers around, so if you give me any ideas, I can use them in my following photos.
Another thing, I am including the original photo, and another one, where I added a little fill light in picasa. Which one do you prefer?
Thanks.

Gaston.

The photo looks worse here, due to the size reduction. For higher resolution click here.

Attached Images

01-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Second one for its brighter and more contrasted look.
But there's nothing wrong with shooting at ISO 200 - in fact, it's preferred with a tripod to stabilise the camera for such shoots.

Good first attempt - now focus on how you can make these types of images stand out with different lighting techniques. Here, they appear quite flat due to very diffused ambient lighting.
01-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your critique Ash. I will try to change the lighting to see if I can get a more interesting shot.

Gaston.
01-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Don't forget perspective as well. IMO these flowers would work better portrait style, the shape and colour of the stems and leaves make a nice contrast to the shape and colour of the flowers.

01-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #5

Original Poster
Second attempt...

Hi again, I tried a different perspective here, and I tried to use a different source of light also, making use of Gary and Ash (thanks a lot guys).
I used a macro zoom (Vivitar S1) to get these pictures. I could really use a stronger tripod, because the zoom is very heavy and I cannot get it to stay still. Therefore, there is some motion blur in the picture. However, I like them much better than my first shots.

For higher resolution click here.

Gaston.
Attached Images

01-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
Damn Brit

Yeah, macro is tough, they don't look bad even with the soft focus. Make sure you are using the 2 second timer and see if you can get a light source so you can use a faster shutter. These are a little underexposed.
01-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not a bad start.
Along with using the 2 sec. timer, fix the camera onto the tripod in the most sturdy configuration possible and avoid putting them in windy conditions. After the camera is fixed in position and ready to take the shot, set the aperture to a much higher number (a much smaller aperture) to obtain a larger depth of field - essential in macro photography. What you would then get is a flower with as much of the subject (in this case stamen) in focus as well as some of the beautiful petals that make this flower striking. Lighting will be your next biggest challenge - getting it to give you a textured rendition of the subject and appear more life-like and 3D.

Finally, post-processing is an important task to optimise your images. Get used to using dodging, burning, levels, curves, selective colouring and sharpening tools. They are the fundamentals of PP work and can make your good photos great.

01-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #8

Original Poster
Once again, thanks Gary and Ash. I will try to have the camera more steady next time, and to improve lighting. I should also make an investment in learning PP. I wish I had more time for this...
Best,

Gaston.