Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spanish Sunset
Lens: 23mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Calblanque National Park, Murcia, Spain ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F5.6 

Hi All, first critique here... also first image uploaded so apologies if I do something wrong.

The linked image was taken this weekend, had a wonderful sunset. Other than straightening have done no PP, interested to know how I would make it better.

full size image available on Picassa.

Álbumes web de Picasa - paulg_scotland

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by paulelescoces; 01-18-2010 at 03:42 PM.
01-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That's a beautiful sunset picture! A fun photo!
01-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The colors are excellent throughout the image. I may have cropped the top off slightly to try to keep the horizon not in the center. The exposure is dead on. I may have increase the saturation slightly to add a little mood but thats me. Was it the right place at the right time or did you get there and wait for it? JIM
01-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Forget what I said about pumping up the saturation. Its fine. JIM

01-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

This is a nice image
IMO, cropping a bit off the bottom - so that the water comes out of the bottom left corner would help. Then *maybe* cropping the top to suit, or maybe not - I think that's a bit more subjective.

In any case you've got something pretty good to work from.
01-19-2010, 12:33 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the critique this far. I actually have many variations of this same shot with slightly different crops, I will have a look this evening and see how they compare when I relook.

On the saturation, I was actually unsure myself... on these types of shots I would typically boost saturation to increase the effect... reality is that this night the sunset was so strong that I was actually thinking at one stage to dial it down... I was a bit concerned that it maybe looked artificial, Real life was actually very close to what I see in this shot.

On Jimbos question if we waited... spent the day in the area and then a walk around here sometime before sunset... had some intentions of taking sunset shots When I took this shot we were actually walking back to the car, was actually a bit dissapointed at first, the sunset started very weak... although in the space of only around 10 minutes it changed to the amazing yellow/orange/red covering half the sky.

Last edited by paulelescoces; 01-19-2010 at 12:47 AM.
01-19-2010, 01:28 AM   #7
juu
Veteran Member

Re: saturation I wanted to say you've oversaturated it in PP until I read that you haven't done it.

I think it is a great picture, I like how the dark sky on top contrasts with the orange sky below it.

What you might try is cropping the bottom to give a more traditional proportion between sky/earth and have the shore line come out of the corner and thus maybe be stronger.

Last edited by juu; 01-19-2010 at 01:17 PM.
01-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hi All, thanks for the critique this far.

I have cropped the image so that the water enters at the lower left corner. Also in this format horizon is exacty 1/3 from the bottom of the image.
Not sure what i think... maybe need to go back to 50/50 by cropping more sky?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
01-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
juu
Veteran Member

Actually I meant to crop it like this, if you don't mind:

I like it better as I think it makes the diagonal stronger and makes the proportion between sky/earth a natural golden ratio. But that's just my opinion.
01-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #10

Original Poster
Juu, i was actually in 2 minds when doing the last crop myself... you are right, is better as you have proposed. Thanks