Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #1

Beauty and the Beast
Lens: 18-55mm Camera: iST DL Photo Location: Rustburg VA ISO: 100 

Beautiful frozen lake with the hideous monstrosity of power lines behind it.

Attached Images

01-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I like the tonality of this one and the patches on the ice work well juxtaposed against the straight lines above. It's slightly tilted which I find off-putting and there is a little too much sky. The title doesn't work for me.
01-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The patches of differing color in the ice are great, but that's about the only part of the image that really draws the eye. All of the background elements are unattractive, and the horizon is not straight and disorienting. Try going back and focusing just on the attractive and abstract patterns in the ice, or finding a nicer background to compose against.
01-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frozen lake - beautiful rendition with its textures, form and patterns.
The upper part of the image unfortunately doesn't complement all that well and detracts from the beauty of the foreground.
Indeed I also don't find the title suitable here (though I get what you mean).

01-19-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd crop the outline of the hills and powerlines right out. It's a really nice picture without the background IMHO.
01-19-2010, 03:50 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I actually like the tilt of the wall, and the way it recedes (gets smaller) as it moves to the right. And the "hideous monstrosity" power lines are one of the best elements of the image - without it it would be a pretty boring image IMHO. I love the foreground, but I can't help thinking it might be stronger overall if the bottom and top were cropped and it was looked at more as a panorama, emphasizing the strong horizontal elements.
01-19-2010, 05:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks, as a newbie, these comments are extremely helpful in my quest to make a decent photograph. I hope you guys don't mind the novices like me asking for insight.......Thanks again.

01-20-2010, 01:11 AM   #8
juu
Veteran Member

The lake surface works very well with the smooth spots. Perhaps if you had a shot of just the surface finding some other anchor point it would work. I like the power tower, but the central building (?) doesn't work at all for me in this picture.