Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #1

Mt. Rainier Sunrise
Lens: 30.6 Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Seattle, Wa looking Southeast ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F5.6 

First time post. Please let me know what to improve on. Thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
01-20-2010, 01:16 AM   #2
juu
Veteran Member

The sky is very nice, textured and with great sunset colours. The mountain is too far away to serve as a good point of attention, perhaps a longer focal length might have worked better even if you then miss some of the blue sky that balances the orange well. The buildings in the foreground don't really work, but I understand how finding a vantage point without them might have been difficult.
01-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great sky. But I think the horizon is not level. When you make this level and crop the photo a little bit on the bottem, the picture is way better.
01-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First point I'll make is to have a clear idea of your what foreground you want to place in front of your sunset background. With more thought on the foreground, you'll learn to see and then capture a foreground that lends itself well to such an image. Generally, foregrounds with interesting form or lighting effects work well. The mountain would indeed be an excellent subject to have honed in to for the landscape.

Secondly, capturing the changing light at dusk can be challenging. Here, you may have caught it a little early and as a result there was still too much contrast in the scene to render both the foreground and background adequately exposed. As it is, the sky is blown out and the foreground is dark. Either implement HDR or wait a few more minutes for the sky's light intensity to dull down further, and the changing colours will appear more vibrant and striking.

Next time, also get your camera on a tripod and use slightly longer shutter speeds with a smaller aperture.

01-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the guidance. I will put it into practice.

Terry