Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bruny Island
Lens: 18mm Camera: Kx Photo Location: Bruny Island, Tasmania, Australia ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F13.5 

Here are two of my favourite photos from a recent trip to Tasmania - both were taken on Bruny Island. I'm wondering what people think of them and perhaps any thoughts or suggestions on how they could be improved. Both these were shot in RAW+ though these are the JPGs created by the K-x.

Some other images from the trip to Tasmania can be seen on my Picasa web album.

Last edited by GingerBeer; 01-19-2010 at 05:38 PM.
01-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Any chance you could post smaller versions. It's a bit hard to critique when youcan only see half of a picture at a time.
01-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The first post has been edited with smaller versions. The links below go to the larger images:

Bruny Island Lighthouse

Bruny Island Isthmus
01-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Thanks, I'll have a look later.

01-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Really love the sky in #1 though the lighthouse is underexposed. Easy fix though. The second image is well composed and likes like high potential with the right time of day. Thanks for sharing. JIM
01-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gingerbeer, there's an Exposure and a Dodging facility in the Pentax DCU for raw conversion which I think comes with the K-x. I use Silkypix Pro which has the same dodging function. Exposure will bring everything up. The Dodging control will bring up the dark bits while not affecting the bright bits too much. You could also play around with the Tone Curve

Is the lighthouse on a slant? You can correct rotation & geometric/perspective distortion in DCU as well.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 01-19-2010 at 10:33 PM.
01-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Great perspective on the lighthouse and the sky looks great behind it. Like Jim says, it's a little dark but if you can brighten just the lighthouse it should look pretty dramatic..

The second one is nicely composed but I think a different perspective would have been better to make it a more interesting shot. The eye follows the steps down and then it
doesn't really have anywhere to go, shooting the steps on a diagonal would have helped to get the eye zig-zagging through the picture. The sky is a bit boring as well but that can be cropped out.
Looks like a place with plenty of photographic opportunities.

01-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I might get in and have a bit of play with the RAW files to see if I can improve the shots with some of your suggestions.
01-20-2010, 01:21 AM   #9
juu
Veteran Member

#1 is too dark but otherwise well composed and with good potential if you fix the exposure.

#2 is certainly interesting. I would try playing with tone curves/saturation to add a bit of a pop, and perhaps try to adjust for barrel distortion and see if that works better. Making the steps/shore line diagonal by shooting from a different vantage point might have been an option too.
01-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am by no means qualified to critique others work as I am a complete noob but....I would like to share the feeling that the second image conveyed to me. I actually got a slight feeling of vertigo looking down the stairs as if I was actually perched on the edge of them. I also found myself scrolling down a bit and effectively "cropping" the top part of the image out.
I liked it very much as it actually inspired a powerful sense of emotion albeit a slightly uneasy one.
01-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I spent a bit of time over the last two nights using the RAW file to fix the exposure of the first image. It has definitely improved though perhaps someone more knowledgeable could do better. I might fiddle with it some more then I'll upload the "final" result.

I haven't gotten around to looking at the second one yet, except to crop it at a 10x15 ratio as it is one that I'm considering having printed. When cropped at this ratio but keeping the full width, a good amount of the sky (particularly the almost cloudless area) is removed which I agree is an improvement. I will also try adjust the saturation to see if I can give it "a bit of a pop".

Thanks for your comment Nomad - I must admit I am extremely pleased to hear that one of my shots has inspired an emotional response in a stranger, even if it is a slightly uneasy one.
01-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
Damn Brit

I just had a quick play around with 'curves' on the small file (let me know if you want it taken down). Just to give you an idea of what can be done, you don't need to lighten the shadows too much. Thinking about it, a B&W conversion might work very well with this also.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 03-28-2010 at 04:51 PM.
03-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's how the finished ones turned out. I was pretty happy with both and had them printed to canvas recently while I local printer was having 40% off canvas prints.

Last edited by GingerBeer; 03-06-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Changed [url][/url] to [img][/img]
03-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GingerBeer Quote
Here's how the finished ones turned out. I was pretty happy with both and had them printed to canvas recently while I local printer was having 40% off canvas prints.
Looks good! I love image #2...
03-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Nice pic, espicially when they are in the final edtion. I am wondering what is the "Dodging facility" mentioned by Dan