Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Coastal Fence
Lens: 50mm Camera: K200D ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F1.4 

Hi,
I am a bit unsure what to make of this photo, I kind of like it, but that might just be because I liked how the B&W conversion came out... Any criticism appreciated. Taken with the SMC-M 50mm wide open at f1.4.

01-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Hey Jason, the conversion isn't bad but I think it could do with a little more contrast because the fence blurs in with the background in the distance so the vanishing point gets lost. The bright patch of sky is a bit overpowering. I think you could crop from the top to get rid of the sky completely and still make a decent picture, the contrast problem with the fence would be less of a problem then and the fence would 'be' the picture because it would run from corner to corner pretty much..
I'm not sure that you took it from the right perspective but then again unless you took a bunch of shots from different perspectives there's no way to judge. I always take quite a few shots if I see something like that, high-low, right-left, getting an angle on the angle if you like.
01-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Gary, much appreciated. I did take a couple of shots with slightly different perspective, but I liked this one the best. I'll have a look at it again and try cropping + a bit more contrast along the lines of your suggestion. Will post up a revised version in a day or 2 when I can.
Thanks!
01-24-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
juu
Veteran Member

When I saw this first I didn't know what to write. It seems to tick the boxes and the composition is decent, but the picture didn't do anything for me.

I've now read what Gary wrote and put another window in front of this one to get rid of the sky and I think it makes the picture a lot stronger, with less distractions, and a more prominent subejct.

On a semi-related subject, in pictures like this, is it also a valid approach to focus on the second closest item in row? Like here on the second fence pole from the right so that the rightmost is OOF and adds to the perspective of depth?

01-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote

On a semi-related subject, in pictures like this, is it also a valid approach to focus on the second closest item in row? Like here on the second fence pole from the right so that the rightmost is OOF and adds to the perspective of depth?
That's a subjective thing, if it works it works.