Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2010, 04:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Ards peninsula coastline
Lens: 18mm (18-55 DA) Camera: K100D Photo Location: Ards peninsula ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F8 

Edit - sorry, misplaced original photo; the desaturated and cropped version is this one:

Last edited by juu; 01-27-2010 at 05:42 AM.
01-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I'm not interested in what your thoughts are, whited out or not they are irrelevant and shouldn't be offered unless asked. If you've already critiqued it yourself, there is no need for me to.
01-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
juu
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I'm not interested in what your thoughts are, whited out or not they are irrelevant and shouldn't be offered unless asked. If you've already critiqued it yourself, there is no need for me to.
OK, I removed my thoughts.
01-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
OK, I removed my thoughts.
Ok, I'll critique then.

It looks like you've been playing around with the sky, the colour looks artificial and there are those abrupt transitions in the colour.

There's way too much sky, you probably need to lose about two thirds of it. There's the makings of a good picture here because of the difference between the foreground and the middle ground. You've shot it straight on though which lessens the impact. I would say the thing to do for this shot would be to move back so you can get more foreground and less sky and also get your feet wet by moving to the left so you can shoot on a diagonal.

01-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
juu
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gary, thanks for your critique, I really appreciate it .

I had turned up the saturation quite a bit and the original was slightly underexposed that had to be compensated. That might have made the sky look artificial.

I did crop the sky and tone down saturation and am including the modified picture.

I agree that the straight-on perspective is the biggest problem, and it cannot be fixed now.

I understand what you mean by 'move back to get more foreground and less sky', but I don't quite understand what you mean by 'move left to shoot on a diagonal'. I will take it to mean that I should try to compose to find diagonal lines in the picture. My first instinct for that would be to move right so I can get the lighter stone lines to be diagonal (bottom to right).

Here is the new crop:
01-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
Damn Brit

I would have said move left OR right but if you moved right it looks like you would end up with too much sea and sky. To the right would be better from a perspective POV though.

You have to be really careful pushing the saturation with skies as you can see. Did you try adjusting with colour curves or levels first. Saturation is the last thing I do and I only usually use it as an aid to any other changes I've made.
01-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Saturation is the last thing I do and I only usually use it as an aid to any other changes I've made
Totally agree with this statement. Rarely touch the saturation and it might only be in one small area of the image that I worked on to lighten up. Like Gary said, there is a lot of potential in this location. Keep up the good work. JIM

01-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
juu
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have Lightroom and I went into the HSL / Color / Grayscale are and picked HSL / Saturation and there I used the picker thing to boost saturation of individual colours (for example purple to bring the flowers out, orange to make the rocks stand out more and blue to make the sky (what seemed to me) nicer.

I think that's a different thing than colour curves and levels, and I will do some reading on it to see what is the Lightroom equivalent.