Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sunrise on the Pines
Lens: 43mm Camera: Pentax K-X Photo Location: Home ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F8 

Another sunrise shot today from the other side of my house. I was walking back to my living room chair with my coffee and happened to look out the window. I was speechless as I ran for the camera. The old adage that a red sun in the morning is a sailors warning might be true as it's to get nasty here tonight with significant freezing rain in the forecast. Did some cropping and the usual contrast and sharpening but the colors where fairly saturated in the original DNG. All C&C welcomed.

Cheers

Attached Images

01-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Nice colours and exposure. As a picture though, it's spoiled by those stray twigs and branches coming in from the edges of the frame. It would have been nice to see the trees coming out of the ground as well, it would make the whole thing more balanced and give it depth.
01-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
juu
Veteran Member

The colours and cloud texture are nice, but the branches on the left and the fact that all the trees have been chopped off from the bottom are distracting. I think a different vantage point would have improved the composition and the picture.
01-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As above, there does need to be clear foreground subject matter as a complementary silhouette or creatively-lit landscape to add beauty to this colourful and dramatic sky.

01-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
The colours and cloud texture are nice, but the branches on the left and the fact that all the trees have been chopped off from the bottom are distracting. I think a different vantage point would have improved the composition and the picture.
First off, thanks guys for the comments. I wish I new the process for cloning, with accuracy, those twigs and branches from the side of the picture, I'm using CS4 but my attempt didn't look real good. I guess it's back to the books on that one. I agree completely with your comments and they are great observations. I have posted, as well, one of the original pre sunrise shots and I think I can honestly say I was limited on what I could use in terms of cropping in the landscape. What I'm taking from this in a positive way is your comments on the colors and cloud textures, it's encouraging in light of my using different workflows to achieve just that.
Thanks,

Joe
Attached Images

01-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
juu
Veteran Member

Again, I like the colours in the sky, but there's only so much you can do from this vantage point.